Abdominal Adhesions - any advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 71-year-old woman. I've had a variety of abdominal/digestive problems for a long time - GERD/reflux/oesophagitis, hiatus hernia, constipation, IBS. Intermittent flare-ups of these problems have made my life miserable for at least the last 20 years. Driving me mad!! One thing that has been constant is a lower-right side pain that sometimes goes away completely, but comes back and gets worse when there is anything wrong with my gut. I have finally figured out that it is probably adhesions from the numerous abdominal surgeries I've had over the past 30 years, beginning with a C-section to deliver my son in 1987. Four years later, I had a laparoscopy, swiftly followed by a hysterectomy (which needed repair when I hemorrhaged after a week); a "bladder repair" four years after that; then a keyhole gallbladder removal about 10-12 years ago. The pain is worst right at the site where my incision (from the c-section, hysterectomy, bladder repair), and is worse after I eat and if I'm constipated. I get a lot of trapped wind. The pain feels like something pulling at my internal organs. I do NOT want to have more surgery to remove any adhesions, unless there are absolutely no other options. Has anyone had any experience with abdominal adhesions, and if so, has anything helped? Thanks in advance for any information/advice.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am still new to having pain that should have subsided. What state do you live in? Many states now, have legalized cbd and, providing you get it from a reputable company, I am hearing amazing stories about it. I am not in a legal state, so the won't ship to me. I Have pain at my surgical sites , too. I also have a pain in lower right abdomen, and I can tell it is my large intestine. It actually swells up and gets very hard. It's bowels moving down. I have lost a lot of weigbt, so, am pretty much skin and bones, making the swelling, visible. I have had a lot of gas and constipation. I drink miralax, one dose, every other day, and that is helping. I dont want anymore surgeries, either. I had complications after my gallbladder removal and had to have emergency surgery next day. I know where You are coming from. Try the cbd oil and miralax. Miralax isn't a laxative. It just puts water in your bowels, making them not hard and easy to move. Tasteless and odorless. Mix in water.

• Posted

Hi Sharon - thanks so much for this. Sounds like you have been through the mill and back -- I'm sorry you've had so many problems in such a short space of time.  I'm in the UK, and the status of CBD oil here is still a little iffy. You can get it over the counter, but at a very low strength - what strength do you take? I do take the British equivalent of Miralax (it's called Movicol or Laxido here), and it is helpful, but I've only been taking it once or twice a week. I think I will follow your example and take it more regularly, because I think that will help more. Thanks again for your input - I hope things get better for you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.