Abdominal discomfort

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

My name is Ronny and my doctor insisted that I should schedule to have my gallbladder removed because I have been experiencing discomfort in the upper abdominal area for some time now. I have had 2 sonograms done and both scans came out inconclusive of anything wrong I also had a hyida scan with the nuclear injection to track things in my body and nothing wrong could be found, the reason why my doctor suggested having the surgery of a cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder) is because my insurance is running out and I would not be covered in the near future and that my body can function with out a gallbladder and such. Well I am having second thought's and have already decided to opt out of the surgery and get more of a understanding of what is wrong with myself and find out all the alternatives rather the do something IMO seems drastic and have surgery based on a factor of not having insurance, I am not in extreme pain and can function for the most part normally , hell I went to work today ( I work in construction) I still do have discomfort and some pain at times and other times I do not at all, it likes comes and goes sparatacally, I know I am up there in age I just turned 50 and Both my parents and my sisters have had this surgery, my brother did not though and we look a lot alike though there is ten years in age  between us. I do know that I weigh more now then I ever did in the past @ 210 pounds I am 6'1'', I used to be on average 185 pounds, and I am concerned that it may be my diet and over weightiness contributing to this problem I am experiencing. I like to get peoples opinions on this and what they think. Thank you for reading and leaving a response.   

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well Ronny. .. the 1 thing to really pay attention to is the HIDA scan. ... what your percentage was in passing it. ... because that shows how much bile your passing through your ducts at this point. .. plus, have your had a CT scan or MRI or an Ultrasound done to see if you have any gallstones at this point and time. .. because honestly big guy, you do not want to wait till your gallbladder goes bad for it to be removed. .. BELIEVE ME. ... you will be in a living hell. So, if you have not been checked for gallstones, then i would get that done before deciding anything. If your body is producing stones at a moderate pace, then your gallbladder is going slowly bad to a degree. .. you can change your diet, go very low fat, no spicy foods etc etc. .. but it may not always work. And when your gallbladder does decide to go or stones do get stuck...it's ... the worst pain ever,,,, screaming, agonizing, rush to the hospital, can't get out of bed , need drugs , kind of pain. .... and if it's bad enough .. your gallbladder will get infected and inflamed , and they won't be able to do anything about it until it goes down or they put a drain in you. Which is even worse. .. gallbladders are no joke, I've lost 35+ lbs since mine and still haven't been able to put it back on , not that i want to. .. but ... it's definitely not a walk in the park . =) =(
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, the test I did have done showed from the HIDA scan showed everything to be normall, and for the ultrasounds I had they could not find any stone's. I really believe it to be my diet and since I have changed it and have been more concious of what I am eating I have been experiencing less n less pain to none at all. I used to eat like a billy goat anything and everything and since changing that things have changed for the better for me, I just hope they continue to do so!
  • Posted

Some ppl have problems with bile ducts that are not easily diagnosed and stones or sludge could be present as they are not always picked up on scans etc. So you may still have a disease process going on. As other conditions can and do mimic gallbladder pain occasionally, you do need to know that there is nothing else going on, not only to avoid unnecessry surgery but also to ensure the problem gets treated.

I've lived with gallstones for over 10 years, first seen on a scan for other reasons, when I was around your age and I've perhaps had some mild symptoms looking back. I was scheduled for surgery next week as I've had some symptoms recently but it has been cancelled as our junior doctors are on strike in the UK. I'm having secons thoughts as I have gallstones, but also have a hiatal hernia which can give similar symptoms and I don't have the major attacks of right side pain that might be more defining of gallstones, but after lots of investigations, the cause is still uncertain. I'm just concerned that I don't get surgery for no reason ( lots of ppl have gallstones without symptoms apparently) or that another cause remains untreated. However, I realise I'm not getting any younger to have surgeries if needed in future. Many people seem to get awful side effects to the surgery even years after, you only need to read on here, but of course leaving things to chnce and ending up as an emergency with complications is also a bad outcome.

In your case you have quite a family history of gb problems so that may be a warning of that risk for you. My mother has gallstones and still has her gb at 88 years, although she does get heartburn and indigestion now. I aasume you have bloods done and no liver probs are evident? Otherwise maybe more tests and scans may help you make your decision. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia

I also have a hiatus hernia as well as gallstones, although my constant does believe that my gallbladder is the cause of my problems. He is however going to do a repair on the hernia whilst he is operating to remove my gallbladder, is your consultant not going to do the same? I am really hope full that the repair along with the removal will sort out all my problems x

• Posted

Thanks for the info, yes, I thought that if there are likely to be two conditions that need sugery, it is better to have the both to avoid another laporoscopy and anaesthetic. I'm seeing the GI consultant Friday so will see what he says, although from previous appts, he seems of the opinion that PPI meds are the cure for everything! They really do nothing for me but cause extra bloating and stomach ache, so we will never agree on that. When is your surgery? - I hope it goes well. x

• Posted

I'm still waiting for a date, I was advised in January it would be a 4 to 5 month wait so I'm hopeful for next month, but won't hold my breath! I was completley unaware about my hernia it was my consultant that spotted it and straight away he said he would repair it whilst doing my surgery x
    • Posted

thank you cynthia for your reply, so far all test I have had done showed nothing wrong, the only thing that was determined is from what I have said to my doctors about abdomibal pain in the vacicnity of my GB, I have changed my diet and have noticed a difference, and hopefully things will keep getting better.
    • Posted

You may already be doing this - drinking lots of apple juice is believed to help. I'm not sure how it can do this, but should not do any harm. Also some say peppermint oil capsules can reduce symptoms. These both seem to help me anyway.  And watch your vitamin and mineral levels as if you do have any GB dysfunction, you may not be absorbing these well - the liquid ones/ sprays digest the best in this case. Hope you are successful in avoiding surgery and any further issues, good luck smile

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up