abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. Just found this site and looking forward to reading your stories. I am awaiting my date for abdominal hysterectomy due to large fibroid and horrendously heavy periods. Everyone seems to have different healing times etc so will just have to go with flow I guess. Thinking worse bit will be boredom with the restrictions on what I will and won't be able to do whilst recovering. Wishing those of you well who are currently at that stage. Will post again when I have my date x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am on day 10 after a vaginal hysterectomy, and am so amazed that everyone has such different stories of recovery.  However, one thing does seem obvious - and that is that you will recover, and have that lovely feeling of no more atrocious bleeding.  My symptoms sounded the same, which were probably due to my fibroids, but the terrible bleeding and clots are never to return... and this is cheering me up on my 'down' moments.  However, I am able to do some basic tasks and short walks already, and because I'm studying at the moment, that takes care of the boredom!  On the contrary, my problem last week was too many people trying to help and wanting to take me out, and I ended up on my knees with exhaustion.  You will be tired, and I would suggest that you don't do what I do, and think because you feel quite well you can conquer the world!  I didn't have an external scar to worry about this time though, which might have helped (I was very glad re this as I had a major abdominal op a couple of years ago and am starting to feel like Frankenstein!!).  Good luck, and hopefully you won't have to wait too long. biggrin  And by the way, the ladies on this forum have been a huge, huge source of support and reassurance for me! xx
  • Posted

Hi Bridget and wecom to the forum, I find it a fantastic site and has been such a great help in my journey fron diagnosis of fibroids to having my op. (A TAH on the 9th of April). It is so good to share everyones different experiences and take some comfort reassurance, and tips from all those lovely ladies that have been through the same things. So good luck and keep us all posted any question or concerns just post them and we will be happy to help x smile
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 5 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy tomorrow for a similar problem to yourself.........this site has been fantastic, although I have a great support network this has definetly helped me through some of my more difficult days.......lots of good advice and helpful tips for any questions you may have........I hope you get your date soon, in the meantime any questions we are all here to help x
  • Posted

Hi Bridget

Welcome to the Hyster Sisters.  Isn't it amazing how differently everyone recovers.  I have just got my date on the 3rd April.  It makes you think is the recovery going to be great like some or dogged with problems, it is like a lucky dip.  

Let us know when you get your date.

Warmest Wishes

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hello hun i will be 7 wks post op TAH had large fibroid removed kept ovaries they took fallopian tubes cervix and uterus. Started short drive this week. Still painful in evening and sometimes during the day . Still look swollen but each wk an improvement. The key is try not to do too much. Know your limits. Good luck and take care babe xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.