Abdominal Impact Trauma Injury Mystery

Posted , 3 users are following.

12 months ago I fell off my mountain bike falling 2.5 metres down onto the edge of a ledge with a direct impact on my left side in between my left ribs and pelvis / illiac crest. No fractures, 1 seriously lacerated G4 kidney (5 days in hospital) which has now healed nicely, and no other injuries noted.

As the weeks and months rolled by it became obvious there was a second injury. 4 x CT scans and 1 ultrasound have not managed to find it (no hernia or abdominal muscle tears).

Symptoms

Soft lump in left side felt on bending over and crouching down. Certain activities will pinch/squash that lump.

(Example) very painful on the effort involved on removing shoe/sock from left foot (classic standing lift leg position).

Irritated or aggravated based on activity type OR level of activity (i.e. more effort equals more discomfort and soreness afterwards).

Can feel red-hot when aggravated.

Causes changes in bowel movements as a result; mostly "mush", poorly digested food, slow bowel movements followed by significant diarrhoea. Some pain involved.

Pain, soreness, swelling is at a very specific location (close to the point of impact).

Lets me do almost anything, just need to manage effort and intensity and avoid crouching down for more than a few moments.

Uncomfortable lying on my left side, feels like a small heavy weight pressing down when I lie on my back.

Meta-muscle taken to make passage of stools / much easier and less painful at the specific location.

Without, things either slow down or become painful during bowel movements.

Running also helps regularity.

Had colonoscopy end of October due to these issues, all clear given, but no other investigations offered to help work out what is wrong.

Symptoms I Do NOT Have

No blood in stools.

No general (or painful) abdominal cramping.

No nausea.

No lack of appetite.

No constipation.

No sudden need to pass bowel movements.

If I do no activity at all for a few weeks the symptoms pretty much go away but return almost immediately when I resume activities.

I'd be keen to hear on ideas as to what it might be.

Could it be a small bowel segment is now misplaced and overlying another (rather than side by side)? Occasionally it feels like a partial obstruction scenario, but so far clears itself.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a radiological scan? If it shows nothing it will correct itself in a few months.

• Posted

You say you have no change of bowel habit and no pain but you also say you have experienced pain and slow bowel movements constipation? followed by significant diarrhoea. Please explain. Slow bowel movements would suggest constipation and a sudden urge to pass a bowel movement would suggest diarrhoea or loose stools.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.