Abdominal Myomectomy - Panic!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Guys, 

I am scheduled to have an abdominal myomectomy tomorrow morning and I am extremely nervous. I am 27, no kids and this would be my 1st surgical procedure. I am second guessing going thru with it but the pain I am experiencing is unbearable. I have two fibroid’s (one the size of an grapefruit and the other a size of an orange). My OBGYN advised against the surgery because of the position and it being too complicated. Now he wants to removed them because my condition isn’t getting any better. Does anyone have any advice?? If I continue with my panic attacks, I know for sure things will go sour! Please help…Thanks   

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi nic, first, keep calm, really do not panic.

I was in the same position as you, 10 yrs older though lol.

Do not be nervous, the pain after is not that bad. I to had never even been in hosptial and the acutal going into surgery is not scary like i imagined.

You have to go through with it as the pain you are having needs to be cured some how. no real advice, make sure you take sanitary towels in case you need then, you will have a catheter to pee for a few days. loose clothes to go home in, big pants, cough sweets in case you get a tickle as coughing can be painful. have you had scan to see location - whatever it is, you have to try a myomectomy as they may be able to get them out and all the suffering can end. For me, it did not work, as they did not look at the position before hand, but even so I still would have wanted them to go ahead with it as anything is worth a go and i was so scared of the op but in the end it was no bad. Did you take esmya before hand.?

Just keeping thinking, you can not go on with the pain and this is a chance to get rid of the suffering once and for all. Any questions, just ask. ps. the scar is not bad either , so do not worry bout that

• Posted

Thank you so much! My nervousness always get the best of me. I have had several ultrasounds. I never tried Esmya, in fact I never hear about it until I read thru some of the post on here. I was on a low level of birth control for a year and now I am experiencing longer and painful periods. Thanks for the advice! God Bless
    • Posted

i was where u are a year ago and i understand that fear but having been through it, i look back on it and just think it needed to get done.

wishing you all the best, once you get to hospital, you will get changed, tests, etc and just go with the flow. will be thinking of you

• Posted

My 20 year old had open myo in Jan this year.

She is now back at work, pain free and working out improving her core - I can see gentle abs coming along nicely.

you will be fine, you are in good hands.

The first few days a probs the worse but you have pain meds when you need them.

remember why you are having the op. My girl is pain free now. Things were truly terrible for her in the lead up to needing the op.

be stron, stay focuses on that positive outcome. The hosp staff will look after you x

• Posted

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

• Posted

I would add to get some deflatine or peppermint capsules as the trapped wind after the operation is painful! The actual pain is manageable especially if you're used to painful periods! It was manageable with ibuprofen. Try to walk about a little every day just to get the legs going and it gives you a little more energy as you will be sleepy/tired. By the 3rd/4th week I was totally off the painkillers with random abdominal twinges. I did underestimate how long it would take to feel absolutely back to normal but it was all worth it. The first period after the op was awful but after that the periods were amazing - shorter and much less painful. You'll be fine!
  • Posted

Hi nic27,

I was in the same position as you - 27, no kids, unbearable pain - when I had my myomectomy. Honestly, at least to me, the pain that I was already going through because of the fibroids was so much worse than the surgery itself. I never looked back because the way I was living with all of the pain due to the fibroids was no way to live. I understand though how scary it can be beforehand. It was my first surgery as well, and I was so scared and definitely looked up stuff too much on the Internet. Don't get me wrong...recovery is difficult, but I found it went much better than I thought. Hope it all goes well tomorrow!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.