Abdominal pain and excessive vomiting due to prescribed medicines

Posted , 5 users are following.

My brother (34 yr old) has been having some serious cervical problem dor which the doc prescribed Pregabalin and tramadol. Apparently the dose prescribed should have been started from low dose and increased gradually but instead it was much higher and caused high abdominal pain and vomiting. The doctor has stopped giving any medicines now and only prescribing Rabeprazole and domperidone mix. He is in too much pain due to actual problem and now probably some liver related problem. He is not able to eat anything as it causes vomiting and abdominal pain. Can someone please give some suggestions regarding what should he eat and what can it be related to. It will be really appreciated. 

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wow, that's rough.  His best bet is to stick with a liquid diet.  I would recommend going to store and pick up some nutritional drinks and protein shakes, preferably dairy free so that it's easier on his stomach.  May want to consider picking up some vitamins to give your brother some energy and pepto may help with the stomach pain and nausea, and give his stomach some protection.  After a few days on a liquid diet, he could try to start reintroducing whole foods back into his diet.  

• Posted

For some people morphine medicines are a nightmare, I am among those few who start vomiting and cannot stop until the medicine wears off, much to the Dr's shock, but not unknown. 

Fentanol is now the medicine of choice for me according the the hospital when I had hip replacements, but not a first medicine of choice as I understand it.

Start off very light, with food, milk, yoghurt, chicken, fish, avoid red meat for a little while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.