About to start Sertraline I need support

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered and existed for over 20 years...

My issue is I have OCD with severe anxiety, my ocd can be about anything especially taking tablets.

I have very unwanted thoughts..some vile and very scary and I.m more scared that I will believe them which brings on a panic attack.

When I was younger I bounced back quicker mentally.

I have never been the kind of person to discuss my issue as I have masked it for many years.

Please Please can people help and advice..I suppose support.

I am about to start Sertraline for the second time, I could not cope with the side effects and I was only on 50 to start and told to go up to 100.

I have booked 2 weeks off for this to start as I feel I cant cope and I can see the strain coming on my relationship.

Anyone got anything please.....

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrew i get really bad thoughts horrible ones heartless ones the OCD things running round in my head that i don't want to think about i could be eating n something or someone pop in my head i had it all last year but soon as i started my tablets after a few months they seemed to go away i stopped taking mine aswell i was on the same as you i lost alot of weight sorry to sound dirty but my stool was never solid but i felt better in other ways i am now on amitriptyline 10mg but i am askin for them to be upped i totally understand how your feeling ino myself the thoughts are horrible but just remember your not a bad person it's just because your unwell and if you was a bad person these thoughts your having wouldn't make you feel bad i really hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hi Andrew,

I too get these thoughts. Have you had CBT before?

This will pass and become managable , you have to try and keep positive

Xxxxx

• Posted

Hi

Just started taking Sertraline too.

Doctor agreed I should try it.

He gave me 50mg to start with and I explained I was very nervous about doing it but knew I had to take control of CFS/ME sooner or later.

I asked to go on this med because I have a family member who has succeeded with it.

I did say... can I start on half a tablet a day early in the morning (that is the key to this tab) and the doc agreed.

I am so glad I did because for 2 weeks I felt sick. so glad I started on 50, I might have given up otherwise. !!!

I am improving every day...

Good luck to you too.

Jinny

• Posted

Hi jinny. Im new to the forum and wondered how u were getting on with sertraline. Im scared to take mine. The doctor has given me 50 to start and come of citrophram due to side effects. Any advice. Were your side effects horrible.
  • Posted

Please be careful with Sertraline I had a serious allergic reaction to it it may be better to get a different drug I have not found a satisfactory one but the best is Mertazapine or something similar hope helps good luck
  • Posted

You need to clear out the idea you will have issues with the medicines if its going to help you with the ocd the inly thing you can do is go for it and try the pills. Would t it be lovely to be freed from the ocd? Its hard here because you are convincing yourself its going to go sour.that unfair to your self. What if it worked. The ocd is bullying you here.
  • Posted

(sorry i can't spell)

I suffer from GAD and my sister suffers from OCD and gets the horrible intrusive thoughts that you are talking about. 

i took sertraline for my anxiety and panic attacks. i would never ever ever recomend anyone to even try them.

i had these absolutely terrifying vivid dreams. they felt so real, i would keep jumping with fright waking myself up, then when i was dosing back off i'd do it again. what's worse is i started seeing things. it started off just thinking i saw something when i didn't during the day. but then during the night the shadows in my bedroom became dark scary looking creatures. i looked at my boyfriend (who was actually lying down faceing the other way) and he had turned into a black round scary creature thing (sitting up) coming towards me.

obviously its hard to describe the creature things because its like nothing ive ever seen before. not even in a horror movie. so i obviously knew they werent real. so i stopped taking them. started getting head pressure and brain zaps which were horrible. called my dr, she said i just needed to change my dose but i should let her know if i start hearing things and be careful because it might not always be so obvious if what im seeing/hearing is real or not. said i would. but would never ever put one of those in my mouth again. dealt with the withdrawal symptoms.

i know everyones different. this could never happen to you. however i wouldn't risk it. there are many SSRI's, if you've had bad side effects before then say you're too anxious to try again and want to try something else?

keep us posted with your side effects etc

we're here for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.