Accidentally prescribed with Citalopram, but it works?

Posted , 4 users are following.

After almost two months of being on Zoloft and experiencing nothing good from the SSRI, my doctor suggested that I switch to Lexapro (escitalopram). I agreed and got the prescription the next day. Because there is such a small difference between escitalopram and citalopram, I hadn't even noticed it until today, that I was actually prescribed with Celexa instead of Lexapro. 

Even though I know Citalopram is typically used for treating depression, I've found that it's actually had a positive effect on my anxiety as well. I was having mild depression from the Zoloft anyway, so it does definitely help with that. A few days in now and I'm feeling better than I ever did on the Zoloft. I have much more energy and my anxiety and health anxiety has definitely decreased a bit as well. 

I sent a message to my doctor asking what they wanted to do about this but I honestly hope I can stay on the citalopram because it does seem to be doing something already. Are there any other positive stories about this SSRI working well for anxiety? Especially health anxiety? I have to say, this seems to be a rather nice accident!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like it is the right med for you!

did you just stop taking one and start taking the other?

No trouble with side effect?

Considering that you still have a way to go before you reach the full effect, it really sounds like you're on the med. celexa is known to work well for anxiety

Best,

linda

• Posted

My doctor had me take the Zoloft one last day and then switch to the new SSRI the next day, since I was on a rather low dose of the Zoloft (50mg). 

No trouble with side effects so far, however I won't be surprised if I get some in the future. At this point, I'm just still dealing with the fatigue, insomnia, depersonalization and vivid dreams from the Zoloft. 

I am definitely liking the Celexa so far, even though it seemed to have been a mistake to give it to me! Hope I can stay on it and keep working on getting my anxiety under control.

• Posted

I was prescribed citalopram for my health anxiety, it kind of works for me but I've only been on it a month or so. Recently had my dose upped to 20mg, i don't worry about my anxiety symptoms half as much as I used to, and my panic attacks have really calmed down they were about 4-5 times a week now it's barely 1 a week. This is the first ssri I've tried though so probably why it's taken me a bit longer to feel the effects, sounds like it's right for you so well done :-)

• Posted

Hi there yes celexa works great for anxiety, I had no depression but different really bad with health anxiety to the point I was a prisoner in my own home. I been on it for a bit now on 30mg and it has really helped. Just A heads up I know ure feeling much better now, but his med does take a little while for u to see full benefits. 6-8 weeks and don't be surprised u get hit with side effects here shortly, major one u may notice is heighten anxiety, loss of appetite, shakiness etc dont Let tham scared u they will pass. Or u may be the lucky one and have zero side effects.. smile good luck with your journey...

• Posted

Agh, I had all of those side effects and more when I was on the Zoloft. So I'm definitely used to them at this point, if I end up getting them eventually. It's good to hear that it's not just good for depression, but anxiety as well! I hope I'll be able to stick with this medication, seeing as it's going well so far.

I also definitely understand the health anxiety, feeling like a prisoner in your own home. I'm glad to hear that the Celexa has helped with that for you though!

• Posted

I been on many others but, but celexa has been has been by far then best for anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.