acheing after bowl movement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had been taking Nortriptoline 50 mg for my aching after a bowl movement for years. It did help for years too. Now it has started up again for some reason/ I was told to go 75mg now. With that in mind, I'm starting to think that dosage is getting into depression type strength?  I do not feel good about the new dosage. Anyone else out there close to my story?? My aching or pain lasts for hours and my life is very bad going through this again. My colonoscopy came out perfect also last month. 

?I just wish someone would tell me of what is happening with my gut? I get the meds easy. Why can't no one tell me why this is happening and where in my stupid gut is this going on??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Has IBS ever been mentioned?  IBS doesn't show on scans because it is functional.  Usually pain improves temporarily after a bowel movement with IBS, however there is such a thing as atypical IBS where your IBS symptoms are not typical of the condition but you still have IBS.

Have you ever been tested for stomach infections like. H pylori and have you eaten anyrhing different that may have disagreed with you? Maybe try a food diary.  Have you had any stress recently? Ask your doctor for a different medication if you are not happy about increasing the dosage of your current drug.

• Posted

Yes, I have IBS. Diet is consistent and what I eat does not effect it. It will hurt always after BM no matter what I eat. The antispasmotics are a waste as I still would hurt and become drowsie with that stuff.  Another thing that also happens is that I always get tired and sleepy right a BM too. How do I understnd that?

?Just not to sure of upping  my nortriptoline as its getting into the area of depressive dosages.  A different GI doctor some years past stated to me that if I can't get relief from 50mg of Nortriptoline, no amuont of it will help. Please someone explain that from GI dr. versus a GI dr. now!

• Posted

Maybe try and get referred to an IBS clinic where more time can be spent with you and you can get treatment tailored to your symptoms.  Your IBS must be very bad indeed if nothing works for you.  I have mild to moderate IBS and Buscopan, Nurofen and occasionally Imodium help me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.