Aching knees all the time

Posted , 10 users are following.

just wanted to ask for advice please had my first tkr in sept 15 doing well then had 2nd tkr on the left in jan2016 since then walking ok but very hard to start to walking extremely stiff in left knee which is having impact on the right . can't say painful but both ache so much most of the time beginning to get depressed as don't seem to get any relief even with painkillers. I have been told from family that I am not getting the left knee straight feels straight to me. PHysio has said to get on with it now continue with exercises and exercise bike no problems but walking any distance is an issue. Sleeping is also an issue as legs ache Turning over hard if stay in one position to long have great problems bending or straighten the leg again very uncomfortable. Sorry for long post any suggestions would be helpful still taking painkillers as needed but PHysio says should be off them now.  Feel like it's been going on for ages nod my support is starting to get fed up Help please

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh I know how you feel. It's certainly an eye opener especially as I was so unprepared for all the pain and discomfort. It's an experience that's not a straight path

because I've no idea how it's all going to end. I can't really plan anything because everything is focused on my knee.

I go to physio class once a week, maybe a drive to the supermarket but most of the time I'm vertical. I try a bit of housework but I get so worn out I have to go back to bed.

• Posted

Hi Mary, what you're describing post tkr I'm experiencing pre tkr and I'm wondering if it's worth putting myself through it! That said, I can't go on much longer like this so I'll just have to hope that I'm one of the lucky ones who have an easier recovery.

Take care and I hope that you get the result you want soon. Deb

• Posted

Mary,   Just keep doing what u are doing.  Remember you and I are 2 days apart on surgery date.  I like to sew...I got an advent calendar where you hand sew the little ornaments and decorate them....it occupies my brain as sue says.....I also have an arm chair and ottoman that I set up in a different room from where my temporary bed room is(move bed downstairs).  I have folding tray table beside it and I sit here some every

day and sew....it helps.  Change of area helps occupy mind also.  Please

see doc.....I now take 1 pain pill and 2 extra strength Tylenol pm for bed

time.  1 Tylenol pm an hour or so before pain med and second Tylenol

pm....per doc OK.  I am sleeping for 5 hours or more straight...it is

amazing how much better I feel.

you have to control pain and exercise...it hurts I know, but each day it gets better....I promise.  HUGS!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.