Acid??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Having an endoscopy in a week and on my letter it says to stop acid suppressing medication for 2 weeks before. I haven't took them for 3-4 days and last night i was awake half of the night with a crackling noise in my throat when i took a breath, sweating and pains in my right side of neck/shoulder and sides. I feel like you do if you have over eaten. I am also waiting for an ultrasound of my gallbladder too. Do gallbladder problems cause acid reflux?

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dianne,

I was due to have a gastroscopy last week but didnt' go through with it in the end as I couldn't have sedation first and wanted it.  However, mind was a cancellation appointment and only had two days notice so I didn't stop taking any of my medication (Lansoprazole at the moment) so maybe if you are having problems without taking it speak to the hospital that you are having it done and ask them if you can still take your medication as I had to in my case.  I am now awaiting to have a Barium swallow xray done instead.  I also had my gallbladder removed around 8 years ago after having problems and pain for about 9 months but I don't think that is anything to do with this acid problem that I have now as I was fine up until I was ill at Christmas time and took some medication that caused all of this! 

Hope that helps.

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Dianne:  I'm surprised to hear that the letter said to stop taking the acid blocker.  This is 2015 and everybody in the health care field should know that a person has to be weaned off of the drug a liitle bit at a time.  Most people get major acid releases when abuptly stopping an acid blocker.  If you don't have one, you need to sleep of a wedge to prevent acid from flowing up into the esophagus.  Stopping an acid blocker can also cause bloating.  You need to call your doctor right away and tell him/her that you are getting acid reflux rebound symptoms.  You also need to change your diet.  See: "How I cured my reflux" discussion.  I hope some of this helps.
    • Posted

John thats an interesting point about being weaned off of acid blockers because after reading what you have suggested to read yesterday I have taken it on myself to not take the Rhititine last night and to not take my my 30mg Lansop... and as yet I have yet to feel worse for doing it. The logic of why I have done this is that since I have altered my diet and only eating fish and chicken the regurgitation and acid reflux I was getting as more or less diminished. In a n attempt to improve my diet even more my wife went out earler today and brought a juicer.

I will let you know how I get on.With regard to coming off medication after I had been on some  " happy pills " for two weeks I returned to my doctor and told him that i no longer wanted to take them and he said ok then don't so I wonder whether it depends on what pills you are on when it comes to stop taking them.

Best wishes to you Dianne and all our fellow sufferers. Ted

• Posted

Anthony I am sorry to read of your misdiagnosis and an interesting point about using antibiotics as well.Your spot on with your views on GPs as well.

In my experience they just want you out of their surgery asap for whatever reason.

• Posted

I have already stated on this site very recently: Simply put... I was wrongly diagnosed with an infection in my scrotum for which I was prescibed many months of two Antibiotics in combination, only to have a successful operation to remove a non infected Hydrocele in my scrotum. I had suffered hell on earth with Acid Reflux for about three years and only been prescribed Malox, which had some limited effect. Those Antibiotics completely cured me of the Acid Reflux and I have been free of it for five years since. I swear only Antibiotics will cure this evil nightmare. If the GP takes no notice, over brush your gums and convince your Dentist of a mouth infection like my friend did and get Antibiotics. That cured him  of Acid Reflux in a fortnight.  A lot of GP's are just not thinking, not even listening folks.
    • Posted

Hi Anthony:  Acid reflux can have a number of causes.  One is a weak esophageal sphincter.  But, another cause can be a case of bad bacteria in the small intestine.  The bad bacteria multiplies quickly when a person eats carbs or sugar, then it makes a lot of gas which pushes on the stomach contents, and can push the liquid past the esophageal sphincter.  For my bad bacteria, I also went mainstream medicine and took 5 doses of Pepto Bismol.  Then, immediately started eating lots of yogurt on a regular basis to maintain good bacteria.  So far, I can eat carbs with little to no bloating.  I ate a small bag of cookies the other day "to test things out", and no problem.  That would have been disastrous a week ago.  I also make sure I take 2 magnesium capsules a day to maintain intestinal health.  John
    • Posted

Hi John, I have not altered my eating habits. I am wide awake in a flash, but, when lying on my back I would have food stuff and Acid in my throat and windpipe. It was Antibiotics that cured this entirely. However, because of the earlier reflux, I sustained minor damage to my upper windpipe. Though rarely, I suffer noisy crackling wheezing at night and would cough. Blood was brought up on only one occasion a few years back. I believe I might have just found a remedy for the wheezing in Honey and Glycerin. So wish me luck. Best, Tony
    • Posted

That level spoonful of Honey and Glycerin really looks like it does stop the infuriating crackling and whining from around my Larynx. So far, I am very pleased. The 'flocks of screaming Seaguls, the mad Bagpipe player and, well, deranged, whispering, wittering loon' have all been, so far, reduced to a barely audible growl which can be ignored then entirely forgotten. By the by, risking the fates, though, after another seven year old child bit me when I was seven, leading to some terrible illnesses, I have only very rarely had mild colds and I am certain that I have never suffered Flue.
  • Posted

I'm in the process of trying to wean myself off Omeprazole (Losec).   I got prescribed it when I had helicobacter 2 years ago and which has since been eradicated.    I couldn't seem to get off the Omep without terrible rebound.  I started taking sqeezed lemon juice (1/2 of a fresh lemon not bottled) and warm water first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  I haven't needed my Omep for 5 nights.  I only had a slight touch of indegestion yesterday when i had a really sweet cake with my coffee and 1 Rennie tablet settled it down. I'm not advocating it as a cure but it has helped me so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.