Acid??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Having an endoscopy in a week and on my letter it says to stop acid suppressing medication for 2 weeks before. I haven't took them for 3-4 days and last night i was awake half of the night with a crackling noise in my throat when i took a breath, sweating and pains in my right side of neck/shoulder and sides. I feel like you do if you have over eaten. I am also waiting for an ultrasound of my gallbladder too. Do gallbladder problems cause acid reflux?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I had terrible acid reflux problems before I had my gallbladder removed. I had shares in gaviscon .. Was repeatedly on proton pump inhibitors... Couldn't eat fruit , raw veg , curry etc ... 

Now whether the gallstones caused it ? 

But the removal of the gallbladder solved it as I now don't produce enough bile ...which I prefer ..

i just eat all bran each day and I am a ok. 

I can eat anything don't take anything ... 

I am happy 😀

• Posted

This may help. I have recently had ultrasund and diagnosed with gallstones.

I said to a GP symptoms seem to be worse after I have eaten and also first thing in the morning before I have eaten anything.

He immediately picked up on the fact that it should not be worse first thing in the morning with gallstones and thought the problem was acid in the stomach.

He prescribed me Omeprazole. I take two at night and they have done the trick.

• Posted

They can cause you to reflux but that is not the same as acid reflux I think.
  • Posted

What's the difference?
    • Posted

Reflux caused by gb can sometimes be bile reflux and not food and pepsin reflux. Other times gerd can develop from gb and from what I've read can be cured by removal of gb. Really hope things work out for you and your health improves
  • Posted

Hello Diane, I suffered with reflux & severe upper diaphragm pain before my GB removal, unfortunately I've had more oesophageal spasms since its removal, however after going back for a second opinion I've been diagnosed with having a sliding hiatus hernia and Barrets oesophagus. Make sure you don't have any other underlying probs and if you dont then the majority GB removal patients ( like my sister and neice ) eat what they like and are living a pain free life. They dont suffer with reflux anymore and the op was literary over night stay, home then back to work.Good luck with yr op and ask lots of questions so you understand the procedure. All the best Diane.
  • Posted

I suffer from acid reflux also. I have read many posts on this forum of acid reflux connected to gb problems. People are different. I have acid reflux with no gb, so there you go. Keep me informed about your diagnosis.  rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi in think they are two separate problems but once you don't have gb, you might developed reflux, either because of an increase of bile/ acids going into the upper GI track or due to  malfunction of your spinchters.  I've never suffer from reflux whatsoever in my life before this surgery, and now I do, everyday. The explanation still remains unknown, but doctors believe my valves stopped working due to damage of the vagus nerve that controls the LES valve or the esophagus valve. 
    • Posted

Your explanation of acid reflux is very good. I have to tell you that I have suffered with this problem for years before I ever had my gb taken out. People may develop this after the gb surgery and some of us just continue to treat it as we have for a longtime. Everyone is different and that is just the way it is. I am happy we can all dicuss our health problems on this forum. I have learned so much. thanks everybody!  lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.