Acid burning on one side of neck/throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had mild laryngopharyngeal reflux for a number of years and i went to see my GP about it over a year ago.  I was prescribed once daily 20mg omeprazole and this seemed to help.  I never really had anyother reflux symptoms.  In February this year I was called into my GP to discuss my repeat prescription request and I told him that my reflux had improved.  He then decided to lower my dose to try and get me off it and prescribed me 10mg daily omeprazole.  Unfortunately i had a very stressful time at work just after I started taking the 10mg and I began to experience what I can only describe as volcanic acid eruptions (tied in to my work stress and anxiety about giving a presentation).  I could only really feel the acid on one side of my neck and it wasn't very painful but felt more like a warm feeling on the right side of my neck.  I went back to taking 20mg daily.  I went to see the doctor again because in the interim I had switched from the omeprazone to taking over the counter Nexium.  The doctor then prescribed me esomeprazole 20mg daily as she said if the nexium was working it might be best to stick with it.  Anyway, the  esomprazole didn't really help much after a week i was back to this warm feeling in the right side of neck so i switched back to my 20mg omeprazole.  Anyway, the warm feeling doesn't come as often now as it did before so i think thinks are improving and i'm now taking mastic gum capsules before bedtime.  The GP has suggested an endoscopy if things don't approve.  Does anyone have any experience of a warm feeling like this on one side only?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi danasking

Yes, I have a very similar symptom of LPR mainly affecting the left side of my neck. My symptoms sound more severe than you are getting. I would describe them more as a burning and aching feeling in areas of the left side of my neck from just above the collar bone, right up and into my left ear.

I am a bit worried as over the last few months I am aware of a number of glands in that area being a bit swollen and aching, and wondering if it would be useful to discuss with my GP. However, not sure that anything would come out of that, other than to continue on the PPIs!!!

When I am aware of a reflux episode, it often seems to spurt up my throat, mainly affecting the left side. Odd isn't it? Not sure why it seems to "hit" one side more than the other. Possibly just our anatomy?

I have been recommended to consider surgery, so am agonizing over whether surgery really helps LPR type symptoms as well as "classical" GORD symptoms.

I am also trying to look into the new endostim procedure, ( google if not familiar with this new procedure) as I am very anxious about the reported side effects of fundoplication, be it 360 or the more partial 270 Toupet procedure.

I doubt that an endoscopy would find the "root" of your LPR as such, but personally I feel when we have had reflux for sometime it is a good idea to have the oesophageous checked by endoscopy in case the reflux is doing any harm to the cells lining the throat. Obviously your GP could ask the endoscopist to look especially at the right side of your throat in case you have a right sided bias for reflux. Maybe some biopsies would be a good idea too, in case there is some eosinophilic aspect to your symptoms? (Sorry to sound like a doctor!)

If you and your GP feel you would like to be off PPIs, has your GP tried you on H2 inhibitors such as ranitidine/zantac?

As your symptoms sound reasonably "quiet" at present, now your previous work stress is less, maybe that would be worth a try, so you have PPIs for the future if things "flare up" a bit later????

Anyway, hope this is of some interest to you, that Yes, I also have reflux effecting one side of my neck more than the other!

Best wishes,

• Posted

You could try chewing gum to see

if that doesn't help improve it.

You may have an irritated or weakness

on 1 side or an issue with the muscles

on 1 side. Since u have had it so long

I would have the upper endoscopy (EGD)

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.  I am also trying aloe vera juice at the moment as well as the mastic gum.  My symptoms are slowly getting better and I feel the burning less often, and when I do it's milder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.