Acid on swallowing water and acid cough

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have een trying to deal with acid in what feels like my gullet for some time.  Used Gaviscon. Recently it has become worse and swallowing gaviscon or even water makes it worse.  

I wake in night for water and it seems to hurt and get stuck giving me a pain in back before going down.

dr has given me omeprazole which helps acid in day but makes me nauseous so my appetite is not good. I also get loose motions some days which are a bit acidy.

i am not sure why gaviscon is not working anymore, surely it shouldnt burn when i have a bad attack?  Staying off it just now.

I had gallbladder removed two years ago and wonder if it could be responsible.

can anyone relate?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a endoscopy?
    • Posted

Had one several years ago, itwasclear may need a repeat but it will only show so much, other tests if its a bile acid problem
    • Posted

They do bile acid absorption tests, not nice, tubes down nose into stomach and sort of barium type scans etc. 
    • Posted

That sounds interesting and way more advanced than what I've seen here.

• Posted

Iowa but I have just recently started seeing a gI doctor. It could be that we haven't gotten that far into testing. I have Barrett's esophagus, a hiatal hernia, and severe acid reflux along with diverticulitis and cystitis at the moment. I can't tell which symptoms go to what sometimes. I have this gnawing feeling between my chest and back that happens sometimes when my stomach is empty and sometimes when I've ate. I have issues with all kinds of food and wake up with a bad taste even though im taking a PPI. I have less of that happening when I don't drink or eat anything before bed. How about you?

• Posted

I think i will probably have to have more tests but i definitely have hiatius hernia and acid reflux.  The ppi i got is giving me nausea so needs looking at.  I also get pain centreback from nowhere.  Issues with most foods, staying very careful.  I only drink water after 6pm but still can wake nauseous. On a high pillow to see if it helps.
    • Posted

All of these GI issues and the constant worry really makes me sick.
    • Posted

Yes, and its not helping my anxiety at all.

i dont think the ppi is suiting me, nausea and fatigue but if i dont take it i get the cough back and then acid.  Maybe there is a better suited ppi for me.

were you diagnosed with all that from an endoscopy?

You dont say if your gallbladder is still there.

• Posted

The barretts, gerd, and hiatal hernia diagnosed from the endoscopy. The diverticulitis from CT scan with contrast and cystitis from urine and blood tests. I had my gall bladder removed in 2002.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.