acid reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi ive suffered from acid reflux for a few years now maybe as many as 5.its gradually got worse and its a nightmare sometimes im sick in the night which is tasteless acid which burns my throat and i cant speak properly for 2 or 3 days. this is quite rare now but i get the heart burn every day and also hiccups all the time. over the last 3 months ive made big changes in my life cut out almost all fatty food cut back of caffeine drink plenty of water and have 2 or 3 fruit a day mostly banana as ive heard these are good for heart burn. ive lost 1 stone exactly but the problems aint getting any better. i take aloe vera juice 2 times a day which dont seem to be doing much either. has anyone got any other suggestions which might work i would greatly appreciate it.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i forgot to add for about the last week ive started including moderate cardio exercise in 2 times a day to further boost the weight loss in the hope this will start to make a difference but im not very confident as losing a stone has done nothing in the way of the heart burn.
  • Posted

If you've not already done so you need to see your gp maybe have some tests but certainly get meds to he with the pain
  • Posted

There has been one particular intense discussion on your question amongst many other threads on this forum. Check them all out but the one I have in mind is one you will see listed as

"LPR/Silent Reflux - desperately in need of a miracle. Has anyone recovered from this?" Posted by Anxious Alex.

The journey to health seems to be a personal journey though there are many common principles and many people have contributed their experiences and suggestions that may help you on your journey back to health. And Good luck.

• Posted

What does your doctor say?

Most people nowadays are prescribed proton pump inhibitors. I have taken several over the years before finding the one that worked best for me.

You need to control the acid before it does you ultimate harm. 

• Posted

i try to avoid going to the doctors because ive been with them over a year and i havent got a clue who my doctor is i always see someone different which is no good they can only go by records and they never give me advice all they say is lose weight which im doing and im not even that much over weight im big but i have a lot of muscle mass because im quite into weights so although im classed as over weight on a bmi a lot of my weights muscle. i dont like those proton pumps ive never used 1 but ive heard bad things about them. did i add in my message that im on 2 medicines for heartburn? there doing nothing much they take the edge off but thats about it i still suffer heartburn on a daily basis.
    • Posted

Ignoring the situation could cause long term damage to your esophagus such as barrett's esophagus.

"The exact cause of Barrett’s esophagus is unknown, but gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a risk factor for the condition. GERD is a more serious, chronic—or long lasting—form of gastroesophageal reflux, a condition in which stomach contents flow back up into the esophagus. Refluxed stomach acid that touches the lining of the esophagus can cause heartburn and damage the cells in the esophagus. Heartburn, also called acid indigestion, is an uncomfortable, burning feeling in the  midchest, behind the breastbone, or in the upper part of the abdomen—the area between the chest and hips"

• Posted

Just a thought david - i've done a fair bit of weights before diagnosis with LPR (slent reflux). In my research into reflux i came across many sites which warned against doing weights if you have this condition. Mainly i think as tensing the abs puts pressure on the stomach leading to greater possibility of refluxing.
    • Posted

thanks i didnt know that but luckily im not doing any weights now all im doing is cardio and im increasing the time all the time
  • Posted

Hi David, sorry to hear about your reflux.  I've been on a very strict healthy diet for the last 2 weeks and have noticed significant improvements.  This is not a quick fix and from what I can gather, it's a slow healing process.  My diet is mostly steamed protein and vegetables, water, brown rice.  Small meals frequently (6 per day).  Don't overeat, slouch etc.  It may be worth going to a dietitian who can prepare a eating plan for you - I saw one and she was fantastic.
    • Posted

that sounds like a good plan but i couldnt do 6 meals a day even small meals. i do have much smaller meals now which does help.the only big meal i have is breakfast in the morning but that never gives me heartburn.
  • Posted

hi david

check out digestaqure

i am on my 3rd day.....

i have had had symptoms for 7 years

no diagnosis.....i am going to give

digestaqure 6 months..... i have a good feeling about it...

the literature sounds more sensible than anything else

that i have encountered heretofore

• Posted

That sounds like blatant advertising and you didn't tell him the excesive cost of it nor the controversy about it on line.

One review:

"Whatever you do or don't do, please do not fall prey to the Digestaqure scam. I paid $450.00 because there was a money back if not satisfied guarantee. I have taken 10 pills a day for 72 days & no improvement on any of the symptoms they advertise to cure, so I requested my money back. I was told I had not sent in monthly progress forms, therefore, they would send me a "complimentary" bottle! NO MONEY BACK, NO WAY! I tried calling their 800 number as instructed, got a recording to leave a message. I did, no return call, got an email from customer service saying she was hearing impaired & could only communicate via email but I was not getting any money back. This is a SCAM, FRAUD. STAY AWAY FROM DIGESTAQURE & their false claims!!"

• Posted

hi derek i did just look on the site but as soon as i see the price i went off because im not spending that sort of money on pills from a site i dont know and trust. the only times i buy tablets is from a trusted retailer like holland and barrett i really like that shop and the staff are happy to help and advice.
    • Posted

I'm very dubious about H&B. So many people seem to use it as their first health port of call. Obviously the staff are in no way medically qualified but earnestly proffer advice as if they know what they are talking about.

Their pricing policy says it all.

Two weeks at "normal price" followed  two weeks at half price, Two weeks at full price followed by two weeks of buy one at full price and a second for a Penny.  

What is the product really worth? And they make a profit every week!

They really are a company that Watchdog should look at. They make it all themselves and are now a Worldwide Franchise company like McDonalds.

• Posted

Have a look at reviews on manuka honey. You take a spoonful before meals and it puts a coating on your esophagus protecting it from acid.

I found it sickly but it did help however after a few weeks my blood sugar waa sky high so I stopped it.

• Posted

that sounds like a good temporary solution. im not a lover of honey its well to sweet but if it could help i will be willing to give it a try if it can stop the reflux i dont care how bad it tastes i will try it. the only problem is where do you buy it?
    • Posted

thank you so much for telling me about this. it tastes terrible very sweet as expected but that instantly took away my heartburn. thanks so much i cant remember the last time i was heart burn free it feels good lol. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.