acid reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had horrible indigestion every time I eat the past two years on and off. I have lost 30 pounds. The pain goes across my chest into my breastbones. The doctors say I have reflux but I never feel the burning, only horrible chest pains after I eat and at night it is horrible. I have stabbing chest pains in my esophogus that lasts for hours. I also get this strange scrapy feeling down the back of my throat. I feel like this has to be more than reflux. I have had all the tests done and the docs say everything is fine. Does anyone else have these feelings? Also, taking zantac and it does not help at all! Thinking about trying Nexium,

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nothing exactly like that, however, 4 years ago my chest was so sore. That was probably the reflux, I just didn't know it then

Everyone has different symptoms.

I don't have burning in my stomach area either, but do have needle like stabs along the left outer ribs at time.

Hope you figure this out.

Sound like its gastric related though.

The key is to find relief and get it under control.

Then you can build up a healthier digestive system

• Posted

Thanks so much -it is helpful just knowing your not alone in the pain...I try not to get depressed about it but its frustrating when you see everyone eating anything they want when you know you can't
    • Posted

Dane.

I understand.

Life is what it is!!!

We have to accept ourselves the way we are.

This will pass, we have to have faith and see it.

• Posted

I was gettting dreadful pains in the sternum area too. I was told it is reflux. PPI's didn't work for me but I am on Amitriptyline and that acts to calm the nerves down.

Sometimes reflux is down to an irritated vagus nerve and the Amitriptyline is used a lot to sort it.

Google vagal nerve and amitriptyline -it may hekp you.

The problem is - any reflux can have different causes. Stress, lifestyle, weak valves, damaged nerves etc etc. Once you have identified the cause the rest is easy. I have also been advised by an eminent expert in theis area, that food intolerances also can play a part

• Posted

Thank you for your response, very interesting!
    • Posted

Wow, moonbuggy.

As long as you get comfortable that's all that matters

• Posted

Hi Dreaming

A horrid 2 years I must say. Going round and round from one to another. One test contradicts another etc. GP didn't have a clue - ended up diagnosing LPR myself which actually proved to be correct. Had the Nissen done a couple of months ago. No more acid reflux - still have the other LPR stuff going on. Back to ENT next week/ What fun lol

• Posted

Moonbuggy,

Life is definitely an adventure.

Guess we have to make the best of our current situation and still have happiness inside.

• Posted

Hi yes I have gastritis, but the burning feeling has gone, thank goodness. Only taken a year! But I have the weirdest feelings, not pain but discomfort, under my ribs and in the middle near my sternum. There most of the time. Feels tight and like a weight. I wake up and can feel it straight away. I'm off my meds so can't be side effects now.
  • Posted

Hi Dane, 

Have you had an endoscopy? I had to ask for mine to be done as on originally seeing one doctor - who diagnosed reflux, a second opinion from another doctor led to an endoscopy which found my hiatal hernia. It's good to find out what is going on that way anyhow! 

• Posted

Yes, I had a scope done and I did have a 2cm hiatal hernia. But the doc said that would not be causing my symptoms. Up again last night with horrific stabbing pains in my chests after eating 2 bites of dinner at 5:00. The pains started at 10:00 at night....so weird.
    • Posted

try gaviscon 'double action' mint (32 tablets pack is more economical) if it doesn't ease the pain quickly it may well not be GERD-related at all.

Or try 'Peptac' liquid, available on prescription.

• Posted

Hi Dane,

I think this is nothing to do with the size of the hernia, but how it effects you. My hernia is classed as small as it is 3cm but it gives me no end of trouble. I am hoping to have corrective surgery as I don't tolerate the meds well and I would like to eat tomatoes again. Sounds silly but I love eating them and right now I can't!

• Posted

Hi glennie I've just been reading your reply I've got a h hernia and I am having all sorts of agg I have to go and get these polyps removed which this acid has caused I have the hoarse throat the lump in my throat I can't stand any meds I have had they make me feel worse I want to feel normal again before all this I was a fit gym goer now I just about go to work what operation are you having because if that works I'm up for that 

• Posted

Hoping to get nissen fundoplication (not sure I got the spelling right) where they repair the hiatus hernia and put the stomach back where it belongs. Lots of pros and cons but for me I am willing to give it a go. Was at dietitians today to see what could be done to improve my symptoms and she could offer no advice as I am doing all I can anyway! Have manometry test and ph test monday,has to be done before I see a surgeon.
    • Posted

Hi glennie I'm going to ask to go down that road I've had enough of taking blinking pills I think they make you worse I've read some things on here where people have had secondary problems because of these pills sod that I would rather have an op and try and cure it that way 
    • Posted

Hi William,

Have to agree - although getting people to take you seriously is a bit of a battle. Right now I'm feeling absolutely crap as I'm off my meds waiting for Mondays tests and drinking gaviscon advance to try and fire fight the acid and pain. At least it makes you want the test to come - even if it means more discomfort - just to be a step nearer being sorted.

• Posted

Hi Glennie that sounds awful I'm not that bad I just get that horrible taste and that feeling of something stuck in your throat plus heartburn which stresses me out no end I need this sorted so I will be screaming at this doctors to get me sorted I can't go on like this I want to go back to the gym again but all this h hernia and acid is stopping me because I don't want it to get worse 
    • Posted

Hello - I also get the horrible scraping feeling down the back of my throat and a horrible taste - I thought I was alone in this and going crazy - glad to hear i'm not the only one - my whole family thinks i'm nuts! Isn't the taste so hard to describe. All of these chest pains and feelings are so hard to describe it makes you feel like you are crazy - thanks for the support everyone on this site
    • Posted

Hi Dane,

I think metallic is the best way to describe the taste I have in my mouth. PPI's can make it much worse too. Since I've been off my meds the past few days I can tatse things so much better - the downside is all the old symptoms coming back with vengence!

• Posted

I do ge the metallic taste as well as a scraping feeling down the back of my throat. The doc says it spost nasal drip but its not that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.