acid reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

So another question about reflux...I was told I had reflux and a 2 cm hiat hernia . My doc said the hh would not be causing all my chest pains. I am in so much discomfort ALL the time after I eat and I can't eat seconds or I will be doomed with horrible chests pains for the rest of the night. Does anyone know if the hiatal hernia would be causing all this pain. feel like i'm dying a slow death and have lost soooo much weight! Just want to feel normal again - it is hard for me to beileve reflux could cause all this pain):

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dane,

Yes your hiatus hernia can cause a lot of chest pain. Sometimes I feel like someone is standing on my breastbone. I can't eat as much as I used to - in fact when I go out now I will have a main course only and I usually can't finish that. If the hernia pinches your vagus nerve you can get all kinds of weird things happening - like I get dead hands in the middle of the night - and aches in my teeth and jaws. If you read more of what people say on here you will see a wide range of things happen with HH. I have lost weight too

• Posted

Thanks so much for all your information. I did have a stress test to make sure my heart was in good shape and it was - when I get all these strange chest pains I just have to remember that
    • Posted

I get chest pain and pain down my left arm and leg from my reflux and hiatus hernia. Now I don't worry about it. I just say to my wife that I have indigestion in my arm and leg again.

Becaus ot aortic stenosis I did have my aortic valve replaced but apart from that ECG's have been OK apart from ectopic beats. 

• Posted

isn't it so painful though - I am so angry and frustrated that I have this pain everyday and nothing seems to work to help the indigestion -zantac and tums dont touch the pain
    • Posted

Hi Dane,

I read an interesting article on bile reflux - have you ever been checked for that? Apparently like normal reflux - but treatments won't touch it.

• Posted

Hi Dane

Know exactly how you feel.

I also had a HH and chest pains. However I had mine fixed a few months ago and the chest pains have got worse. I have been advised that reflux can for sure cause these pains. Have you looked into esophagal spasms?

It may also be due to slow stomach emptying as the food may be sitting in your stomach too long - which in turn puts pressure on everything.

Have you had any other tests?

• Posted

yes, had the stomach emptying test - normal ; got medicine for the spasms but unfortuately they do not help that much -so tired of living with the pain; I often wonder how did this all begin and will I ever get to enjoy eating again -Frustrated!!!
    • Posted

Hi dane...I would look at food intolerances.  Gluten and dairy are biggies when it comes to digestive system disorders, gluten being a known cause of acid reflux. Good luck!
    • Posted

Yes, I am getting a blood test for food allergies this week. So frustrated. ):

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.