Acid Reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

Been suffering with acid reflux for over a week now, I started by taking all the usual antacids, gaviscon etc and nothing seemed to work. I had a lump feeling in my throat which could be very painful at times. Visited my GP on Monday and she prescribed me some Lansoprazole 30mg one a day. I have now been taking these since Monday, the lump feeling has gone but the acid is still there, how long generally should I expect the lansoprazole to start working? Also does anyone have any natural remedies I could try to shift the acid? It's really starting to get me down now and I can hardly face eating.

Thanks

Sarah

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Lansoprazole is a PPI, the best treatment for reducing acid. 30mg is the normal, low, maintenance dose of this medication.

It usually takes a few days, upto a week, to become truly effective. If necessary you may double the dose for a while. PPIs are powerful drugs and should only be taken at minimum effective dose monitored by a doctor.

Hopefully the acid problem will heal up shortly and you may not need to continue with them.

meanwhile attempt to identify what has caused your acid hyper-secretion. It's likely to have been triggered by foods so keep a food diary.

The lump in the throat feeling was probaby globus where the cricopharyngeal muscle spasms in an attempt to prevent extra-oesophageal reflux into the respiratory system.

There are many "natural" remedies people will suggest anecdotally on here, though none have been found in reserach to actually reduce acid - apart from baking soda (if that's natural) which is as effective as the normal antacids like Rennie or Tums which are usually made of chalk.

I have a chapter on Natural remedies inthe Acid section of the free book I have just finished writing which is available on line at DownWithAcid org uk.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply smile

How do you take the baking soda with water?

Also I know I can take gaviscon with the Lansoprazole but is it ok to take the rennie etc? I have read these may effect how the Lansoprazole work but not sure if its true.

I will take a look at your free book thank you smile

• Posted

I believe those who use the baking soda stir a teaspoonful into a tumbler of water. I used to find it easier (and just as natural) to pop a Rennie.

Gaviscon is an excellent handy resource if needed. It's made from seaweed (so it may be deemed "natural" by some?).

Lansoprazole, like any PPI, is absorbed into the bloodstream via the villae in the duodenum. It is enteric coated so it doesn't dissolve in the acid of the stomach. Although the advice is not to take an antacid at the same time as a PPI, it won't actually make much difference.

Best time to take PPIs is half an hour before breakfast. The timing isn't actually crucial but it's bestto get a time when you know you'll take it regulalrly while you need it and half an hour before food will ensure it is pushed through the stomach to the duodenum.

• Posted

Well ive just popped a rennie to see if it helps smile

Gaviscon doesnt seem to be helping me.

I've been taking my PPI's ebfore breakfast as I also thought that was the best time to take them. Hopefully they will start to take effect in a day or two more, i really hope so anyway!!

• Posted

It does take a while for the PPI to work and to get the correct dose so you need to be patient.

As others have said see if you can findout if anything has triggered it, fizzy drinks, acidic foods etc

BTW i find that even on 30mg Lanzoprozole if I don't get regularly the lack of food gives me pains so not eating can make it worse

The PPI and Gaviscon do diffierent things. The PPI redices your stomach acod and best results if you take it 30mins before food. Gavsicon simply creates a layer and works short term

• Posted

I've recently weaned myself off of nexium and have some suggestions for natural remedies. I don't suggest not going on a ppi if it's really bad. Prevacid, which I think is the generic of lansoprazole, did nothing for me. I was on nexium for about a 3 weeks and then started weaning off for the next 3 weeks.

A natual source is chewing gum! All the time!!! Also DGL licorice, that works well for me. If you have an asian store nearby that sells umeoboshi plums that also works great. Although, they are extremely salty so one a day is recommended. I take ginger capsules before meals and also Aloe vera juice. Not sure if that helps with acid but it helps with digestion. I hope you find relief soon! It's hell when you are burning, that's for sure.

• Posted

Ahhh thanks for the reply Karen.

I've heard chewing gum is good so guess what I'm buying today lol.

Also just out of interest what aloe Vera juice do you drink?

Thanks

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.