Acid reflux concern

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 3-4 months ago I symptoms of acid reflux I was taking Oct meds then they weren't to much so I seen a dr about two weeks ago and put me on pantoprazole 40mg, my concern is that symptoms of the reflux went away but I have a hoarseness in my voice and have to clear my voice every now and then, I went back for a visit and told him what was going on and he said that this

Could take a couple months to clear, does anybody know ifthat's normal with this

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The pantoprazole has reduced your acid but not the reflux which is still causing you problems.

With the acid reduced, the reflux is less harmful but it's travelling full column and breaching your upper sphincter: extra-oesophageal reflux which is often referred to as LPR.

You need to reduce your reflux by lifestyle. Do not over fill your stomach - eat little and often, Lose weight if necessary. Avoid tight cothes. Avoid exercise that will compress the stomach after eating. Leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed, Raise the bed head by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

Go to the www DownWithAcid org uk site and scroll down the contents (home) page to find the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux.

• Posted

I sympathise, Bruce. My PPI stopped working about 3 months ago and I had  2 months of the feeling something was stuck in my throat. With a more careful diet based on the advice in this forum it eventually cleared but for the last 17 days I have been so hoarse I have had to sign off work. I have an ENT appointment in ten days where I hope they will confirm it is due to reflux. It feels very worrying when it goes on and on, but hoarseness is a recognised symptom. I also would like to know if others have had long lasting hoarseness. The change in diet hasn't helped my voice (yet). Have you got an ENT appointment?
    • Posted

I have an appointment on march 30 for a consultation with a go doc, almost sounds like LPR after reading some of the forums
    • Posted

My sister who suffers form heartburn, reflux and acidity even lost her voice for a month she was given ppis but still constantly clears her throat when she speaks. she's asthmatic too i wonder if those two are inter related.
    • Posted

Yes, if the acid gets behind the lungs you could end up with asthma .  I tested for asthma 4 times and COPD  and came ouit with flying colors.
    • Posted

There is a strong link between asthma and extra-oesophageal reflux. It used to be thought the asthma may have been a cause of the reflux, now it is considered likely to be the other way around. Those who have had reflux seemingly all their life could hae ha it triggered when they were refluxing as a young baby (which is quite a common expeience).

Relevant chapters in the www DownWithAcid or uk book to read about this association are those on Extra-oesophageal reflux and within the section on Other Related conditions.

• Posted

You could have acid behind your throat which with reflux medication should go away.  But you can also see your ENT and ask them to do a Loryngoscopy on the same visit.  But basically it ends with the medication for reflux. I had hoarseness and it was mild acid so they put me on Pantoprazole 40 as well whichI will start tomorrow because I have to do the H.Pylori test tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.