Acid reflux, lump in throat, gas pains

Posted , 30 users are following.

I have been diagnosed by the ENT for reflux and I also suffer from anxiety..as I know anxiety and stress is a big trigger for stomach issues in general. For the past 2-3 months I have been getting this lump in throat sensation and lately it seems to be worse! My anxiety has been a lot better, so it doesn't make sense to me why I would be getting this sensation..I had vanilla ice cream last night so I am assuming that triggered it, since I am still trying to figure out WHAT foods exactly make it worse. I also have been getting what I feel are gas pains (been to the cardiologist and gotten a chest X-ray, many EKGs, all good) on my left side by my rib...and even under my armpit a bit. I burp a lot, so all this seems to be related.

Does anyone deal with similar symptoms? And what do you do to help the lump in throat sensation? I have been trying aloe juice, licorice tea. And st the moment I am chewing gum to see if it helps.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm also having gas pains (particularly in the morning and in my back) and excess flatulence and burping.  I've been keeping a journal recording what I eat, how many BMs per day, when I'm particularly burpy, to see what might be triggering it.  I have been told not to chew gum because it introduces air and could lead to additional gas.  I have been taking some over the counter anti-gas medications and they have helped a bit. 

• Posted

Has anyone in this group had hungry pants. No pain no naseau. I have bad anxiety and more I think about it the worst of gets. It i take ativan it relieves my worry and it goes away

• Posted

Dairy is a HUGE trigger...anything high in fat....

My anxiety has been my WORSE enemy...Lump in throat is called globus

I finally bucked up and started anxiety meds (VERY VERY LOW DOSE)

And it has improved BIG TIME...my aniety & my reflux...incuding lump in throat

And FYI...being a women and getting PMS (anxiety,mood swings etc) 

I noticed my reflux and lump was worse then too...

Also prop your head while sleeping (NOT WITH PILLOWS) buy a wedge on Amazon

Hope this helps!!! smile

• Posted

It absolutely helps! Thank you so much! Are there any specific foods or drinks that you find help the reflux (even though you said it's not as bad now 😋wink I'm almost afraid to eat! And that makes complete sense, as women our horomones are always going wild.. and it brings on my anxiety also!

• Posted

Eat bland, cut out fats (fast food, fried, sweets)

No Caffiene, Alchohol, Soda.

Smoking also...If you do smoke

Small portions, and have 4 meals a day instead of 3 big one

Fruit is a big contributor too....stick with veggies

AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR ANXIETY, Walks,meditaion and meds if you need it

I have literally felt the acid climb my eshogus at the beginning of any type of anxiety...my biggest contributor

• Posted

Also....in time....you can have some of those food I mentioned above as your reflux and axiety is under control

Of course dont go crazy and eat 10 burgers. but you can treat yourself here and there with caution

• Posted

That is wonderful advice! Thank you! It's terrible that we have to restrict ourselves so much with this .. 😩 I was thinking I would completely cut back like what you are saying (and I am not a smoker!) for a month or more, and then slowly but surely introduce some things back into my diet. I actually just bought a book with recipes that are OK for acid reflux sufferers! It's called "the acid reflux solution". I also have been finding that the weird sensation will travel down my throat and right above my chest area almost & I will feel a sharp pain when I breathe in at times. I have read that lung symptoms like that could be from the reflux, have you ever experienced that before?

• Posted

Honeslty, I have had EVERY ache and pain with this reflux...The acid really messes with our nerves...so things get sore and painful

My back has hurt bad from it too...especially the left side....and my ribs sore too

I have also had tons of ear ringing, stuffy nose...I can go on and on

• Posted

I have the same symptons you have. Including ringing on my ear. I got so nauseous last night I thought I would for sure vomit, but didn't. I have the lump on my back behind my heart and headaches that come and go. After I eat I get pains that are similar to the pains you get when you are about the have diarrhea, but it's just normal bowl movement. My stomach burns and I have bad taste in my mouth. 

I'm vegan so I don't eat dairy products anymore. 

I Have anxiety  and I stopped my meds a few months back because I don't feel as anxious. I take probiotics and that seems to help anxiety so I didn't want to go back on those meds. Not sure what to do. Just the thought of going to the doctor and gave them not know what's wrong with me it's anxiety causing.

• Posted

You litralley just described everything that has been happening to me. Mine started on sunday and i dont know what to do, the sensation of a lump in my throat is 24/7 only feela better when im drinking water. But ive had like 4L today already!!+
    • Posted

It is scary when you don't know what it is! I totally understand your feelings. What I've been told is to change my diet, and keep stress / anxiety levels at a minimum (easier said than done), are you having any other symptoms besides the lump?

• Posted

Hey,

So its basically felt like the last couple of days like im going to be sick but cant because its stuck or something which sounds gross. Then there is the lump feeling and the feeling of swallowing my tongue... ive been put on omerprozole AGAIN.i have been wanting to be reffered to ENT for so long now as ive always have trouble with my tonsils and now i have reflux..but the gp.still hasnt reffered me. Im.currently doing my nursing so keeping stress to the mimimum.is next to impossible. Next week i have a test for my thyroid as these symptoms of anxiety reflux are exactly the ssme as having an over active thyroid.

Kind regards.

• Posted

Hi Saraanbe,

I would begin with a gastroenterologist who will perform an endoscopy.

Much reflux is because of a hiatal hernia.

If you elevate the head of your bed 5 inches, you will minimize your reflux.

Keep non prescription antacids handy.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you! I am seeing one in about 2 weeks actually. The sensation has gone now from my throat to my chest and I don't know if it's heartburn or what exactly. I will absolutely try tilting my head when I sleep!

• Posted

Hi

Heartburn is right in rhe center of your chest and is typically felt moving up the esophagus. Heart burn is a sympton of reflux. Reflux the the acid from your stomach moving up your esophagus, typically because the sphincter muscle is weak. The lump in the back, top of your throat is the gas from the reflux.

Your esophagus is burned by the reflux especially at night when you lie down.

So also try elevating the head of your bed 5 inches. This elevation will help your body hold things in the stomach where they belong.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.