Acid too high or too low?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So over the last 2-3 weeks i've started to get acid reflux.. it's not affecting my chest and i'm not getting heartburn but everyday i have had the strong taste of acid in my mouth, along with what feels like a burning tongue, dry mouth and constant need to cough.  It's also caused my asthma to kick in which hasn't happened in about 20 years.  A week and a half ago I was put on PPI to reduce the amount of acid, I 've been taking one a day but it's just gotten worse on these and this taste is making me feel constantly sick. I didn't take them this weekend (fri/sat)... and this weekend bar a tiny acid taste in the morning I was fine even after eating.  I went to the docs and they've referred me for a test in 3 weeks to see if they can see anything, but advised me to stay on the tablets.  So I took them on Sunday and again today (Monday) and by midday the full strength acid has kicked back and is making me feel dreadful.

I've been advised that the symptoms for high amounts of acid can be the same for low acid production.  So was wondering if anybody had the same reaction and wether or not it's worth coming off these until I have my appointment?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You have described symptoms of having refluxed acid.

There are two components to this: acid and reflux.

The PPIs will reduce your acid, by reducing the number of proton pump cells that produce acid in the stomach lining, to make sure any material refluxed will not do so much damage. They cannot cause you to produce more acid. But now you have to address the reflux.

Stop smoking if appropriate. Lose weight if appropriate. Do not overfill your stomach - small portions and more frequently. Avoid exercise after food that will compress the stomach. Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and bed. Raise your bed head by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

I've lived with reflux problems all my life until I had a fundoplication to reduce it and give me my life back - and make me free of all medication.

If you get to the poit of considering whether reflux reduction surgery is for you, visit www DownWithAcid org uk and scroll to th ebottom of the contents / home page to find the NICE option grid in the appendices. It shows pros and cons of PPIs vs surgery.

• Posted

PPI's take a while to work so you shouldn't give up on them yet, they are not like painkillers and work immediately. They are best taken at the start of the day 30mins before food, have you been doing that?  Also it could be that the dose you are on is not sufficient, i take double the normal dose.

Another major contributor could be your diet. Even on the PPI I have to watch what I eat, fizzy drinks, acidic foods etc 

Don't give up, I am sure it will get better soon 

• Posted

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I've been taking them in the morning about an hour before food. My diets generally healthy and i never do fizzy drinks and rarely drink alcohol. I was advised i'd see differance within 3-4 days. I'll keep on with it this week and see what happens, if its comes on worse by the end of the week i think i'll cut them out until my appointment. I hate the idea of taking things that will make it worse or have little/no effect.

• Posted

PPI's dont work immediately. But ont he other hand, for some people they don't work at all or they don't work after some time. In my case it's the last one. PPI stopped working for some reason and the effect of what I was feeling tripled. Now I'm off and watching very carefully what I eat and drink. Still LPR problems 90% of what I've felt earlier.

In your case I think It's worth alos looking at other possible reasons for your problems. Maybe it isn't GERD, but something else, because you don't have a lot of symptoms.

• Posted

I agree with most of what Barretts said, but I have a little snack at bedtime as I can't sleep if I'm hungry. Eating an apple has helped a lot with the acid reflux, it costs very little and can't do any harm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.