ACL and Meniscus recovery 7 years post surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

In 2008, while skiing I tore my ACL completely, tore my meniscus is 3 places and damaged the surrounding tissues. I had a hamstring graft arthroscopically one month later and did physical therapy religiously post surgery. Over the past several years, I have been quite overweight and only recently have I been successful in losing 35lbs.

I am a very active person and mt passion is riding and training horses. I find that every so often, my knee becomes extremely painful and seems weak. I have gone back to my physical therapist once or twice after having an MRI to rule out reinjury.

Yet here I am again, in significant pain and feeling weak. I am at a loss for what to do as this hinders my activity. Is there something I am doing wrong or even not doing? Please help!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Whereabouts in your knee is the pain?? I had an arthroscopy 12 months
    • Posted

the surgeon repaired both meniscus and cleaned up some arthritis

It has steadily got worse and 2 week

• Posted

I'll have a third and final try at replying.

I saw an nhs physio on Tuesday who I think is the best I've seen.

I thought the 'catching' I could feel in my knee was the cartilage but when he felt my knee he said the cartilage seemed ok and the catching is due to patella misalignment

He's gave me 2 stretches, one is to strengthen the inner quad which will re-align my knee and the other is to get rid of the pain on the outside of my knee due to the iliotibial band being tight.

There hasn't been a quick fix but there is improvement

He said that people often have trouble with theirITB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.