ACL & quad partial tear, exercises to keep weight off??

Posted , 1 user is following.

5 months ago, Feb this year, I tore my ACL as well as my quad tendon, partially, due to dislocation of right patella. Previously dislocated the same patella 3 times prior over 12 years led me to lead a more static lifestyle which led to weight gain. Although, I have been in the process of changing my lifestyle completely, living a more active life, having lost 7kg/14lbs up to the point of injury.

Other health issues: Asthma, PCOS

My question, or at least discussion, is what can I do or how can I motivate myself to eat wiser whilst currently still on crutches and a leg brace this long into recovery? And, what exercises can you recommend, besides isometric exercises, to speed my recovery? At the moment I have been pushing my knee down into the bed whilst sat up on the bed, aiming for a leg raise, as I still cannot do one, I have been doing knee ups stood up, squeezing my quad/knee/calf, squeezing glutes, up to 5 times a day. Followed by a rest day if it starts to hurt. If it doesn't hurt, I just carry on.

Unfortunately, I am a very impatient person (and, yes, maybe I need to learn some lessons to not move at 100mph), but considering, I am just eager to get back on my feet, so I can get back to achieving my weight loss goals.

I led quite an active lifestyle, working 5-6 days a week, incorporating workouts 3/4 times a week, eating more wholefoods and making better food choices to aid weight loss, and doing so well and being happy with it to then go to bedbound for 5 months (couldn't put barely any weight on my leg until about 2/3 months into recovery)/being off work for so long/deteriorating mental health/making poor food choices.

Currently: 23, 5"4, 250lbs

Before injury (5 months ago) : 23, 5"4, 227lbs

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.