active 55 year old woman shattered ankle in 3 places

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was visiting arizona and took a hike and was having such a nice day and on the way down I rolled my ankle and landed on it. and completely shattered it in 3 places. I had to be rescued by helicopter. My sugeon said he can't guarantee anything because it was so severe- including that I will walk. Is that possible with modern medicine? I am 2 weeks out of surgery with all kinds of plates rods and screws. Very depressed. In tremendous pain. Scared. I want to try to stay positive. I want to b grateful. It can always be worse. I feel so alone- and helpless- I was hoping to provide and receive support from someone who gets it. Started meditation for first time ever... Tried to remind myself it could have been worse - could have had Brian injury. I'm lucky I can afford to pay for some help bathing and grocery shopping etc. if there is anyone who wants to mutually support each other I'd like that.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

So sorry about your injury. You are still young and were active so that is a plus already.  It's normal to feel depressed after all you have been through but you are trying to be upbeat and reminding yourself that it could have been worse.  

Stay upbeat and one day at a time wink

• Posted

Thanks Alley for taking the time to write to me and be validating and encouraging smile.  It's true it is important to take it one day at a time. How are you doing? What are you best methods for coping ?

• Posted

Hi there - hope you are feeling less alone wink

All I can say is thank God for helpful people on this site - and of course the internet. Very thankful that can be up at 3:00 a.m. and be able to watch tv

or surf the internet. 

• Posted

Hang in there. I'm 56./snapped fibula, bonegraft, plate, screws.

Still can't walk properly but I CAN WALK. So will you.

You're early days. Swelling, immobile,

Get a knee scooter for mobility.

Get some books, movies, hobby, ,👣😿🌞🌼🚶🐱🌈

• Posted

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post. Boy it sounds like you have really been through it!!!! Poor thing. What was the best thing that came out of your terrible situation? For example I am seeing the kindness in others- such as those responding to my post. Seeing the impressive way I was rescued. Slowing down- forcing me to be more patient. Having more time to read the paper. ...
  • Posted

Very sorry to hear about your accident. I would strongly suggest that you consider looking into getting an iwalk. If you can manage it it will give you back hands free mobility and freedom and put you mentally in a better place.

I’m 75 and getting ready for many weeks in a plaster cast for a revision of a total ankle replacement and have bought an iwalk and am practicing with it ahead of time as I will have to look after myself.

Good luck

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard. Thanks so much for writing and your advice.It's funny I just ordered an I walk.

im sorry you have to deal with this situation as well. It is tough to look after ourselves- shower-etc-everything we took for granted.I'm glad this forum is here to know we are not the only ones going through this. I wish you the smoothest fastest recovery possible.

• Posted

Many thanks for your good wishes....cannot say that I’m looking forward to having another TAR after only four years but the lack of my mobility again was very dispiriting and getting going with the iwalk has in every way been a positive step forward.

Pleas do let me know on or off list how it goes for you.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Richard

I'm sure you are not looking forward to having to go thru ANY party of the TAR again!!!

It's crazy!! I do hope your mobility issue is resolved. I look forward to sharing one another's pain and progress. We can commiserate and cheer each other on!!

Marge

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your accident. I am post op 20 weeks triple fusion so I have limited mobility but able to walk pretty well. I am 70 so healing takes alittle longer. Yes they fail to tell you how depressed this foot ankle surgery can be, a knee scooter is the best but was only allowed up to bathroom and bed for 10 weeks in plaster cast. So know we are here for you. The nerve spasms will be the worst, thought I was losing my mind with it. but week by week eveything seemed to get better. So hang in there and so just as your Dr Says
    • Posted

OMG! Cheryl you really have been through it for the past 5 months!!! Yes the nerve spasms are crazy painful and depressing. I'm so so glad to hear that week by week you are improving. It's very encouraging and gives me hope. I hope your road to recovery comes quickly as possible. Thank you for writing and sharing your message of hope and patience.

• Posted

Marge,

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. One day you are all well and running around and next day you are bedridden and need help to do everything.  Doctors are strange species; they don’t understand what their words do to patients. He said that he does not know what the outcome will be and he does not understand that we (patients) latch on a worst case scenario and keep turning it over and over in our heads.  I would suggest trying to concentrate on the positive and believe in the full outcome. I know it is hard to do but this is the only way out.   There are lots of good suggestions in the replies and in the forum. First I would encourage you start moving. I know it seems crazy, but you will feel much better and more in control. I used a knee scooter and loved it.  I also tried IWalk, but gave it up as could not feel my leg and was afraid to bang it on something without even knowing. I also got a second hand manual powered wheel chair (so I can push myself by spinning wheels) and my hubby would take me to the park on the weekends and to the stores at night. I like preferred stores later at night as there less people to bumped into and there is light so I could see where I am going. The work out (doing chores while on scooter or pushing myself on the wheel chair) would tire me so I stop thinking about being miserable and sleep better. Also, I went to a professional massage twice a week and it helps a lot with muscle pain and overall stiffness.

What leg did you injure? I broke my left ankle and that meant that I could start driving as soon as I stopped taking drugs. That helps mentally and gets you out house. I think luck of sunlight also affect the mood.

I have broken my ankle in three places on December 17th 2016 and had a surgery next day, was in the cast for six weeks not weight bearing and just now started walking with crutches.

I wish you to stay positive and a full recovery. I will be following the thread to check upon you. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

Green Olive 

Thank you so so much writing such a thoughtful message to me!! It is crazy how things can change so much in a blink of eye. I appreciate your understanding the impact of the doctors words when I feel so vulnerable and advice about trying to focus as best as possible on the positive- because there is- I am fortunate to receive the kindness of others  we are lucky to have found this website to know we are not alone and see others on the path ahead of us.

I am lucky to b able to afford an aide 2xs a week to bathe me and take me for grocerys- call Uber to drop me at a doctor- and the negative all feeds on itself if I give in to it and it's easy to spiral downward!

i am so glad you have a good hubby- it's gotta b a great support when u r in this vulnerable situation. My hubby has not been but,  i am not going to focus on that- I think it's better to focus on my recovery and the positive moments of connection with others, petting the dog, kind empathy and advice of others - or getting myself to the gym -to lift a few arm weights and get out of the isolation and get a little movement and a rope pull machine and seeing a good movie..

i did order the i walker today  before I saw your post. But where I'm staying is not handicap friendly- built many years ago- so I would kill myself on scootersmile a massage is a great idea! I will wait a little bit because I'm to tender and afraid. So that will be something to look forward to!

Do you still have pain? How is it?

i appreciate you sharing your journey thus far- what a gift for you to suddenly be weight bearing. I hope things keep improving for us both and I thank you for your support!!

• Posted

Marge, 

I am 48 yo female that was and will be soon again very active (positive thinking does help). I had a trimalleolar fracture of my left ankle on December 17th 2016 and following ORIF on December 18th, NWB for 6 weeks and finally released to PWB on January 25th. So I am right at 7 weeks since my accident and surgery. I am not in pain anymore. It is more like nagging aches and stiffness. I still get swelling toward the end of the day. But it gets much better over night. I just started physical therapy this week and it helped me to glimp the light at the end of tunnel. Here is my post on physical therapy if you want to see what comes in your near future - https://patient.info/forums/discuss/6-weeks-post-ankle-surgery-need-help--400148?page=1#2544310

I have read your replies and it seems to me that you have a great compassion for others and a gppd sense of humor. I think it will help you in the journey to a full recovery. It will not be easy and it will take time. But we are all here to listen if you want to vent out. No matter how good of the friends and relations you have, they would not fully understand you as they have not walked the walk (and hopefully they don't have to). But us here all experienced it. This forum is great. I am happy that I found it. 

• Posted

Green Olive-

YOU are very compassionate and encouraging!!

It looks like you are on your way to recovery. But obviously still in the process. I imagine it must be such a gift to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

I appreciate your directing me to your post about what you are going thru in physical therapy- it helps me know what is next and what to expect and most important -provides hope- because it's frightening to be all alone in this situation.

Hope you have a nice and ACTIVE as possible weekend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.