Addicted to google

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past around 2 months google has been my best friend but also a complete pain. Every symptom I have I just automatically google them and then the worst thing comes up. I now know all the symptoms for brain tumours and motor nuerone disease and have scared the hell out of myself  as now I think I have MND. Literally so convinced. I told the doctor about this and she said that she cannot tell me wether I have it or not and there is doing more she can do. But could the symptoms all be in my head, like is it possible to make you have symptoms of serious illnesses, otherwise google must be right. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

its called health anxiety - constantly checking for symptoms and looking for reassurance, even becoming symptomic with the symptoms of the things you find out.  Very common with health anxiety, which comes from anxiety in general or ocd tendancies in other cases.  What is the most disturbing is that your doctor didnt recognise that.  Treatment for the underlying anxiety will help you, i guarentee no matter what tests you get (which im sure will be clear) will ease your mind, this is how anxiety goes.  Stop googling too!! We all do it, especially those of us with health anxiety but it absolutly the worst thing you could ever do
    • Posted

My counsellor said it was health anxiety and my doctor said that there's a high chance of it just being that but it's so hard to believe them because of the symptoms matching these diseases 
    • Posted

i know it is hard to believe, its a very powerful problem - but look at it this way - if you hadnt checked online then you wouldnt be so sure. when you fill your head full of the symptoms and are constantly checking your body for any changes or sensations - it doesnt take very much to start going out of control. thats just the nature of health anxiety im afraid. its good you have some form of therapy, stick with it and keep being honest with them about how your feeling
    • Posted

When i thought i had a brain tumour i had headche, and now theyve gone completly. But what if this is actually motor neurone disease
    • Posted

you could go round in circles with "what ifs" im afraid.  If you reread what youve just said - your starting to query when you DONT actually have a headache.  This is understandable, its exactly what happens with health anxiety.  No more google, tell all these worries to your therapist. hang in there, its a tough road i know
    • Posted

Emily we all do it.  Have symptoms like a headache, look it up on google, and then convince ourselves we have a brain tumour.  Stop scaring yourself.  If the doctor and counsellor tell you that you have health anxiety, try to accept that.  It is very common, as you will see if your read other people's post here. 

We get ourselves in a state.  I've done it, but all tests I had came back negative.  I therefore have accepted, yes my mind plays tricks with my body. 

Stop worrying so much.  You could convince yourself you have every disease that ever existed.  Brain tomour, motor neurone, no it is anxiety!! 

• Posted

Hi Emily, of all the symptoms and self diagnosis of terrible illnesses have any of them having had the tests or symptoms actually turned out to be what you thought they were?

Ive currently got tooth ache, Google suggests possible nerve damage.... But I know it's simply because I'm grinding my teeth due to my anxiety.

I understand what your going though petal and it must be horrible for you especially as you get yourself so convinced about your symptoms being something more serious, BUT your getting therapy. 

The mind is a very powerful thing and when it's not playing fair it can be debilitating and frightening but you are in control and you have a choice as to whether to google or not and to accept that this is all part of your heakth anxiety if indeed you have chosen to accept that you have health anxiety?

N

• Posted

You have health anxiety, Its hard when you have the slightest pain not to think the worst. I have only used google when it come to my own health, to understand my own problems. I have Spina Bifida and Spondylolisthesis for my own well being glen knowledge on management of my pains.

Putting in what can be random symptoms in google can be a really risky thing to you own thoughts. Anyway you take care.

Jimbo

• Posted

How you feeling have you managed to unwind a little in the last 7 days ?
    • Posted

Not at all. I'm still very worried and convinced something serious is happening to me and of course still on google 
    • Posted

when you feel yourself turning to google, get up and do something else - anything else. the more you turn to google then im afraid your not going to get anywhere at all. i do know how hard it is, but try to do whatever you can to avoid the impulse, you already know its not helpful so just remind yourself of that
    • Posted

Not that great tbh. Still comvinced theres something wrong. Like i know there is! 
  • Posted

Google has som much to answer for. And in a self sufficient world where Doctors time is short and appointments are crammed in, that we are now having educate the world how to look after themselves for simple things and also remind them what is deemed and emergency.

The sad fact is that our A&E department (in the UK) are jammed packed full over people who dont necessarily need to be there, and a GP appointment the following morning would suffice. And lets not get started on the drunks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.