Addiction!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Feel ashamed to say but think I could be or close to the point of being addicted to taking tablets, any tablets really, old meds that build up because they're changed so often but mostly just paracetamols and over the counter meds, sleeping aids and whatnot, I do feel I have an addictive personality, I drink a lot too although maybe it's not that out of control? As I only do this of an evening and not during the day.

I know it's stupid and I shouldn't do it and not even sure why I do, I guess just to feel something/different? Kinda thought for a while now that maybe it was getting too much but I just dismissed it thinking I was in control as it's not everyday and only at night times but now I'm not so sure.

Can anyone relate? Does or has anyone else done this? And please don't tell me to speak to my doctor or someone about it because I can't, circumstances I'm in will only make things more difficult for me.

X

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi dondons, you are being to feel like an old friend, I would give you a great big hug xxx ( I have three sons, one daughter and a beautiful, beautiful grandson )..I hate to see people unhappy...my sons have problems, and it breaks my heart to see them, or anyone else unhappy..xxxx

Could you try to cut back a little every week ? Or maybe every ten days or so.....I know how hard it is....I was an alcoholic for many years...you can call community alcohol and drugs service...confidentially,...they can be a tremendous help....

Or maybe, try to cut back one drink a week...and carry on that for a while, then try the same with your pills....the Samaritans could also help to advice you....xxxx

Never give up hope,,, you will !! Get there in the end...honestly...

Let us know how you are...big, big, big hugs to you...take care...Deirdre xxxx

• Posted

Hey, i have tried to cut back and stop I only do it Maybe 3-4 times a week I guess that's a lot? I've taken pils a few times hoping something will happen ie fall asleep and not wake! But know now that doesn't work but still take them sometimes, lately i take mostly paracetamols so I can save the other/stronger meds yes I know how ridiculous that sounds but let's face it I am ridiculous, pathetic and stupid and selfish! I'm not sure I'm addicted but know I shouldn't be doing It I just want to feel different, something other the way I feel each day! I've spoken to Samaritans but they don't/can't give advice only listen xx
    • Posted

Please be careful with Paracetamol. An overdose can lead to acute liver failure, and symptoms often don't start to show for 24 hrs after which time the damage is done. Alcohol and some prescription meds can increase absorption so if you're drinking too much and taking antidepressants you're putting yourself at risk of a serious health problem. It's really dangerous, to the extent that it's responsible for accidental deaths when people take 2 medicines containing paracetamol. I understand the desperation you're feeling, and the need to self-medicate but  paracetamol isn't something to muck about with. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I know it's silly and dangerous I am going to try to stop, I haven't taken anything for 2 days, I know that's not a great achievement but I have now gotten rid of all tablets in the house other than the meds I have to take, prescribed by my doctor.

Thank you for your concern

Donna xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.