ADHD- TPO antibodies

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I posted a few months ago with high antibodies >850 and TSH 8..5.

You kindly responded and gave some good advice, I have since had a retest this shows the antibodies >900 and TSH 8.2.

I had a heated discussion regarding my physical symptoms and the fact the results are out of normal range. Reluctantly the GZp put me on Levotharoxin 25mg OD for 3 months until a retreat I'd done.

I'm male 33 and I have suffered from depression and addiction leading to psychosis. Also I was diagnosed with ADHD.

This is where my question comes, I read somewhere that high TPO antibodies can cause neurological fetal brain development.

My mother has an underactive thyroid and this runs across my whole family, I'm just wondering if anyone else has found this link, between illnesses.

Hope your all well, also if your doctor doesn't prescribe pressure them for a private script. It's only 10 pounds for 3 months supply. The reason they don't dish it out is because you would be exempt for future prescription charges. I told them just to do it private and they were more than happy with that.

All the best everyone

Chris

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris

ARE you in the UK?

Good on you for standing up for yourself.

Jean

• Posted

Hello Chris1981:   I am an RN (Nurse) and I live in the USA.  Having thyroid problems is passed on via DNA and does run in families. Now it normally hits women but Men can get it.  It can skip generations also. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is a condition discovered by a Japanese doctor, (S. Hashimoto), who found a link in families. It causes the body to destroy the thyroid gland by way of protein antibodies.  It can cause Hypothyroidism.   They are not sure why this happens, and some people say it is triggered in life by stress on the body like puberty, pregnancy in women, later aging.  I always recommend  that you keep a record of family members who have a condition and let the doctor know. It is helpful to let them know so they can focus in on it.

You will most likely pass it on to your children.  Make sure you take your Levothyroxine everyday as it will keep you from getting worse symptoms. I hope this helps.

• Posted

OMG.

My two aunties had throid problems. One was overactive the other was definitely underactive.

My son lost his hair aged 21 and has always been very thin etc.

Nightmare.

Jeanx

• Posted

Hello Jean:  yes, let doctor know about your Aunties.  I have a Aunt on my Father's side who has Hashimoto's and then I had it.  Because of me having it my sister was tested and she has it also.  It can be Hyper or Hypo Thyroidism, but it does run in families.  It is very important to know and tell the doctor.  They now test young women because they found it happeneing in the teenage years.

They thought it may be dormant and then be triggered at puberty, child bearing or late adult hood aging.  It can skip a generation or a family member but tends to hit women although some men get it.  Since Men do not have body changes monthly like women, they just tend to be shorter and gain weight in hypothyroidism.  In Hyper you lose weight and get super skinny. Hyperthyroidism, makes your heart beat fast and you can have hair loss with low and high thyroid.

So it is most important to let the doctor know you have it in your family. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Chris, is this what you were thinking of?

http://www.action.org.uk/our-research/harmful-effects-thyroid-deficiency-during-pregnancy

Also i seem to remember a UK daily mail article that said children borm to mothers that had low thyroxine levels in pregnancy had been shown to have problems with mental maths, stunted growth.

• Posted

Hi Barbara yes that's it, the development of the brain in babies with parents with high levels of antibodies. I say this because I've struggled with learning difficulties (ADHD) and others all my life. Thyroid problems are rife in my family along with learning difficulties.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has expressed co morbidly within this area.

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses sorry I've been at work all day. I will reply properly when I finish. Thank you all again much x
  • Posted

This article was on the BBC website titled: Mother's thyroid level 'may predict child's poor maths'

"Children born to mothers who have low levels of thyroid hormones during pregnancy tend to do worse in maths in early primary school, a study says.

Dutch researchers tracked 1,196 healthy children from birth to age five, having recorded their mothers' thyroxine levels at 12 weeks of pregnancy.

They then looked at the children's test scores for language and arithmetic.

Those born to mothers with low levels of thyroxine were twice as likely to have below average arithmetic scores.

However, the scientists - led by Dr Martijn Finken at the VU University Medical Centre in Amsterdam - said the five-year-olds' language results were no different.

The maths results were the same even after taking into consideration the child's family background.

'Next big question'

Low levels of thyroxine in pregnant women are already linked to poor mental development in infancy, possibly leading to learning difficulties and reduced physical growth.

Dr Finken said: "Whether these problems persist into adulthood remains to be seen. We will continue to follow these children to answer this next big question."

He suggested that in the future, hormone tests could be used to identify children who would need extra help in mathematics at school.

"It is possible that these children could benefit from hormonal supplements to boost their brain development in the womb," he said.

"Such treatment has been tried in the past but as yet has failed to improve cognitive ability, although timing of the treatment could influence its success."

The findings are being presented at the European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology annual meeting in Dublin, Ireland.

• Posted

That is so interesting, thank you so much for your response.

I suppose another area of concern in development of a child with a parent suffering from untreated hypothyroidism, would be possible development issues due to the symptoms of depression and low energy levels. Both areas at early childhood are important in the child's future.

I really feel that this is an area that the GPs brush off and try and ignore. But the end result can ruin not only the parents life but also their children.

Thank you so much for your response.

All the best

Chris

• Posted

You're welcome. Thank you for being so appreciative. This is an area that I feel needs more research. My thyroxine results were all over the place in my first pregnancy - there was a time lag before blood tests indicated I should increase the thyroxine dose. I have a child who is brilliant at maths (got an A in GCSE) but can't do mental maths at all. Luckily to be a good mathematician this isn't a necessity, though it helps! They have also been diagnosed with a mentail health condition - I'm positive the low thyroxine levels and my child's mental health are connected. Now all I need to do is get the medical profession to realise this, research it, and find a cure. That's not much to ask - is it?!
  • Posted

Antibodies frequently vexing to discover trainings and investigation on this to situation and can certainly not find everything. I stay repetitively consuming extreme symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.