Advice?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'vr recently been switchd from Citalopram to Mirtazipine. I took my first pill last night as I knew I didn't have work today. To be fair I had been drinking, but not excessively. Anyways I took it at around 2am and was asleep within 10 minutes. Then today I woke up at 6pm. I slept for 16 hours straight. And all day since then (it's not 11.30pm) I have felt very groggy and drowsy, unable to concentrate much and very tired, despite the excessive sleep I had last night. I'm worried about taking it again tonight as I am working tomorrow. I work as a waiter so obvously drowsiness and fatigue are not very good for that. I'm not working till 5pm alf the pill and take just 7.5?but given that I still feel drowsy now I'm worried this will be the same tomorrow. Can anyone advise me on what I should do? I think that maybe the alcohol contributed to the grogginess today but only somewhat. Is it likely that this will be the same again tomorrow? Should I maybe half the pill and take 7.5 instead?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have only been taking it for a day - so that is hardly time to settle in to it (my words). And go without the drink.

I take 15 mg in the evening and I regularly sleep 9 hours. And if I have an important event in the morning then I don't take it.

My psychiatrist wanted me to take 30 mg and I couldn't function the next day.

And then he added quetiapine which made me really feel like a zombie such that I felt like I was waking upfrom a general anaesthetic.

• Posted

i have tapered off mirtz for this reason.. but u should be fine if u take 15mg tonight but dont drink! i worked while on 15mg i started at 7am and was ok .. i tapered off due to side effects of the drug..u should be fine 
    • Posted

Hi Julie, what side effects didi you have?  I was started on 30mg but found it increased my anxiety.  I dropped to 15mg for 2 weeks, but was having inner shaking the next day, joint pain and would eat anything that wasn't nailed down.  As I had only been on it 7 weeks doc told me to just stop, went 3 nights without any and have had the day from hell, so have taken it again tonight.  How did you taper and did you have withdrawal? xx
    • Posted

hi cheekygal, i was on 30mg i tapered off by dropping down to 20mg for a week then 15mg for a week i experienced vivid dreams but then took sertraline and stopped taking the 15mg sert helped with the tapering im shocked the doctors told u to just stop even 7 weeks its in your system.. what do doctors know! you can put a mirtz tablet in water and after a while it will desolve try taking 7.5mg for a week then drop down to half of that the next week..no wonder u felt rotton ..
    • Posted

Thanks Julie, I have just been halving the 30mg, I am going to ask for the 15mg ones so I can half them.  Are you in the UK, didn't realise there were dissoliving ones.  GP offered me sertraline, but that's an SSRI and I can't tolerate them.  Mirt seems the only antidepressent out there with the least side effects, it's in a dfferent class from any others. 
    • Posted

hi cheekygal. i mean the tablets you have can be desolved by ur self. yes im in uk, whats the drifference with SSRI im on sertraline and wondered
    • Posted

Not sure Julie, I just know that I can't tolerate the side effects of SSRI's I have tried many.  There are different classes of antidepressants, Mirtazapine is a NASSA, and seems to be the only one in that class.  I guess they all kinda work the same but on different parts of the brain.
    • Posted

Yes mirtazapine is in class of it's own. It's also the most sedating AD with a high affinity at the H1 histamine receptor hence it's sedating properties, some people find this sedation wears off but sadly it didn't for me so I come off it. I'm now taking venlafaxine which is a SNRI and works on serotonin and norepinephrine. SSRI's don't do anything for me. 
  • Posted

Hi Danny, I really wouldn't mix it with alcohol,  The next day sedation for me lasted over a week, that was at 30mg.  After that I could take it at 10pm and still be awake after midnight, and get up at 8am next day.
  • Posted

Hi, If you're worried then yes I would cut the pill in half as best you can and just take 7.5mg. It's what I did when I started on Mirtazapine.
  • Posted

I had to come of mirtz as the groggy feeling never really went away, 7 weeks on 15mg and a week on 30mg - The side effects got worse I had no motivation and just felt like utter crap all day, it was awful. Glad to be off mirtz now and taking venlafaxine. you could try taking 7.5mg and see how you feel but it's meant to be more sedating at lower doses! But i found the opposite true, the more I took the more tired I felt. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Hi Julie yes the taper went OK and I'm now into week 2 of venlafaxine, don't feel half as tired through the day now. Glad to be off mirtz.
  • Posted

And you should never mix it with alcohol! That will enhance the sedated groggy feeling! 
    • Posted

hi liam so true i drank on mirtz sometimes felt awfull all day
    • Posted

I recently went to a fair lunchtime at my old school. To my surprise there was an alcohol stall (to think the idea in my day!). I had a Pimms and later in the afternoon I had a mild hangover.
    • Posted

hi nick , mirtz and alchol dont mix i drank when on mirtz i found it made me surpressed and in came people taking the piss out of me well a man..try not to drink on mirtz or see your doctor and change ur AD .goodluck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.