Advice

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi,

I am looking for advice about knee relacements and would love to hear from anyone who has had a positive experience after knee replacement surgery.

I am 64 years old and hyave suffered from knee arthritus for several years. It is steadily getting worse and have been advised that I need a knee replacement. I have had several steroid injections and although they helped at first they no longer give me any relief.

I find that my knee is at it's worst in the morning and I can only come down the stairs one step at a time. Gradually after a hot shower it improves slightly but there is still pain there when walking. I do not have any pain when sitting down or at night when I go to bed. The pain is at it's worst when walking. I am quite a keen walker and at the moment I can still walk a few miles and block the pain out. The surgeons I have seen tell me my X rays are quite bad and seem surprised that I can cope. I would love to have a knee replacement but there seem to be so many people who have negative experiences I am not sure whether it is the right thing to do.

I have had some experience with surgery during the last few years, as I had an accident some years ago and fractured my hip. I was given a hip replacement which was fine and I managed to go back to work 3 months later.

Unfortunately,

I had to have this hip implant removed and undewent a hip revision. Again this was fine and I returned to work 3 months later.

More recently I have had foot surgery and have just about recovered from the operation and I really wish I was brave enough to undergo a knee replacement but there seem to be so many people who are unhappy after having the operation that I am not sure that it is the right thing to do.

I would also be keen to know whether you are able to do more after the operation. At the moment, I struggle with going up and down stairs and would like to know whether that becomes easier after the recovery period. Do you find that you are able to walk further distances. I know that the recovery can be quite long but I would love to hear from anyone who feels that it was worthwhile and they are pleased with the outcome of the operation.

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi -I am at 3 weeks post op and each day is a little better-

The pain is manageable and I have been without assistance in the house for about a week - outside I bring a crutch along-

The unexpected is the fatigue and sleeplessness -one leads to the other- 

Being a very active semi employed 76 year old I find the days and nights long and depressing however as I improve life is looking better each day-

good luck and go for it !!

• Posted

Hi Christine, I'm 3 mths post tkr, and your first 3 para's described my situation exactly, even our ages were the same when we were first diagnosed. Luckily, I hadn't read any of these forums before the op, so I didn't even think about it. And I couldn't be happier!!!

I was warned about the pain by everyone, and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. The pain before the op was worse. I took my meds as instructed. I did pre-op hydrotherapy excercises for 3 mths, had a 90 degree bend 2 days after the op (the physios in hospital really push you), I was home 3 days after that, and another 7 days later I was told to stop using the crutches. I did use a stick when I walked in the garden or went out, in case someone bumped me, but that was only for about another week. I honestly never lost a night's sleep, (protected my knee in bed with a cushion, like RooQ), my appetite was never affected. I did, however, have a glass of wine with dinner every night once I was home, while taking my meds, so maybe that helped?

I think it was about 6 or 7 weeks post op when I stopped taking any painkillers, apart from the odd day when I did too much. I did have an infection in the wound when I got home from hospital, but anti-biotics cleared that up, and it was no big deal. As long as you take your meds, do your excercises from the very beginning, and rest whenever you need to, you have every chance of making a good recovery. I think the work I did in the pool before the op was a help, and I'm lucky to be fairly slim, which also helps. I'm back to walking the dog, going up and down stairs normally without holding the handrail, shopping, driving, gardening. My bend isn't what I expect it to be, but my physio seems pleased, and I'm determined to improve it. Still going to hydrotherapy, and loving that.

Hope this eases your mind somewhat, because I suspect that there are a lot more of us out there who have had a very positive experience. Take care and good luck.

Denise from Oz

• Posted

I had my left tkr done on dec 5, 2014. Went back to work modified duties for two weeks on March 3, 2015. I haven't taken my bike outside yet because the weather is just warming up for us in Ana's Canada. I'm now just waiting the call for the second one. So far, I can tell you, it's hard work and time heals. I don't even limp anymore, as good as new. I do have bend limitations but I'm ok with that. I will be 64 in October and still working. I should have done it yrs ago. But hind sight as they say is 20-20. Go for it! What do you have to loose except pain.  Good luck and come back often. 
  • Posted

Dear Christine,

i am 68 (live in Australia) & waited for over 2 years to have my knees done. Like you had no pain at night, rarely when sitting.  Walking became more & more painful till in the end I found myself going virtually nowhere. I ended up electing to pay for it myself as I did not have private insurance & wanted to have both done at the same time. I am now 6+ weeks post op & have no regrets about having the surgery or having both done at once.  Now I have my life back, can walk without pain, still not going up & down steps one at a time, but comfortably. I know everyone is different, & some heal quicker, have higher pain tolerance etc & I was very fortunate. I am still icing regularly, doing my exercises but only requiring paracetamol & anti inflammatory meds now.  You did well after your hip replacements, so I am sure you will handle the knees. Good luck & keep in contact with this great forum.

• Posted

Wow Sarndra you are doing extremely well 6+ weeks and walking well with both knees done that's a mighty effort. I am also in Oz in Melbourne I waiting 9 years as the doctor said I'm a bit young to do it and said to put it off as long as possible, well I'm 47 now and I am at 5 weeks today from my TKR. I only have a 65c bend and that is the issue due to tissue scaring and tight quads plus today the PT has noticed lack of movement in my knee cap so working on that. I also have been told my surgeon tends to put more adhesive than others and takes his patients longer to get the knee movement.. Hopefully that is the case....

I'm itching to get improvement and being able to get off crutches and drive and get back to work rather than relying on others to assist me but also understand everyone heals differently. I am only getting 2hr blocks of sleep never anymore more due to discomfort and having to move into another position. 

This site is great to hear what others are going through and I here some having turning points on certain weeks...I wake up every morning thinking please let this be the turning point day/week.

I think after awhile it becomes a mind of matter thing and goes from not being a physical thing but a mental thing and that's the biggest test, if you can conquer that I think it becomes a speeder recovery. Plus the loss of my independence in doing things I would normally do is frustrating, the support and help from family has been great and God bless them and I'm lucky I have it but you can see the toll on them also. Unless you have had it done and experienced it, it's just hard to be on the same level with people who haven't had it done and that's why this site is a god sent to be able to share experiences those good, bad and indifferent.

i wish I new about this site beforehand I may have been more prepared especially around the amount of independence you lose on doing everyday things and the support you will need as the doctors don't tell you that part of the post operation risks as one big one is falling into depression with the slowness of the recovery and in some cases short term life changing experiences.. Luckily I haven't but have read it on this site numerous times and can see how easy it can be.

Well my left one needs to be done also the joys of professional sports wear and tear but I am now wiser next time round..lol👌

You seem well on the way Sarndra and to others it will get the with the three P's

Positive

Patiences

Persistence.

Keep on posting 

Tony. 

• Posted

Good luck Tony.  It will all come together with your three P's.

Sandy

• Posted

I am now nearly six months post op and love my new knee, the op was not as painful as I had anticipated ... I had previously had a hip replacement and everyone said how much worse a TKR was but for me it wasn't so much different. The recovery is much slower and you really need to work at those excercises!! But for me its a no brainer and i expect to have the other knee done in due time .... Good luck! 
    • Posted

Hi,

thanks for your reply. It is interestig to find some one who has had a knee replacement and a hip replacement. As I mentioned in a previous post I had a hip replacement as a result of an accident and then had to undergo a revision operation as I had a problem with  the implant. My hip feels great now and never causes any problems

.I would be interested to know if you find the knee replacement as good as the hip as I have heard people say that they are sometimes aware that their knee does not feel like a normal knee.

As you can probably tell, I read far too much information on the internet but I think that it is best to research things as much as possible.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.