Advice following knee surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I am contemplating knee replacement surgery at the end of July but I have a holiday booked staying in a caravan with hubbie about five weeks after.

Just wondering whether I would be able to cope with the journey of about 150 miles obviously as a passenger and having a restful week in a caravan by the sea side. There is only hubbie and I in the caravan and it has an extra bedroom which I could use but not sure whether this is a sensible idea or not, so would welcome thoughts from others who have had the operation.

Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

To be really honest, I couldn't have done  a trip like that at 5 weeks..

But everyone is different. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't get comfortable day or night...and I needed lots and lots of ice. Others may have a different point of view, I'd take the trip then do the knee.

• Posted

no no no !!! i wouldnt do it if i were you no matter if the op goes perfect its a major !! op even if you were staying in a 5* hotel the journey will be way too much i agree with mary go on trip before hand  . good luck with the op
  • Posted

Hi, I'm due to have my second knee done in about six weeks , don't no untill I come round if it will be a full or half knee,I have also booked holiday in a static, for after when I should be at least five weeks post op, the difference being, between yours and mine, I only have to travel, as a passenger for 50 miles, and we will stop on way, as much as I need, . I'm 54, and I no that I could no way cope with a longer journey,it just isn't comfortable, shame your not going a bit closer, it's not as if you'll be able to go for lovely walks and see the scenery so it won't really matter if your only 25 miles up the road, you'll be somewhere different, and having a break, . I wish you luck
  • Posted

I had no choice at 4 weeks, as we have an 87 year old relative 300 miles away, living on her own, no-one else keeeps her cupboards stocked, & makes sure the care package is working other than us, so I asked the consultant who said it was fine & told us to stop at every service station to get out & walk & stretch. It's the DVT they get concerned about on long journeys. He said to have the knee at a sitting position for 15 mins, keep moving the foot up & down & round & round, then stretch it out for 15 mins, & so on. We had a motor home, & I coped. Your caravan will have a freezer box for your ice-packs, get your husband to wait on you hand & foot when you get there - & you should be fine.

I did 1,800 miles in my first 4 months, going to check on her. I know I need a revision, but that is for a misalignment - not travelling!

• Posted

You may not have had a choice but Christine does. ..it would be harder if you didn't get the choice,
  • Posted

I think if all goes smoothly should be fine . Stop to walk around on the way as being immobile can get stiff and increase risk of dvt. Take both crutches even if you're on one by then as might get tired. Don't overdo it. Not much difference between being at home and in a caravan . What about the step up into it? Try to strengthen your arms for getting off toilet with no grab rail though if you make good progress will be ok. Take extra cushions to heighten the car and caravan seat. Ice and drink lots of water. Good luck
  • Posted

I'm not sure everyone different, I know I would not have been able to enjoy it. I felt better at three weeks than I do now at six,  everything taking time to settle,  if you do go just make sure you take a pillow to put under your knee to avoid the bumps In road, and I'm sure If you go it will be fine,  I'll be interested to here what other patients think,  jackie 
    • Posted

Just a point of concern. Never put anything just under the knee. Cuts off circulation and can be dangerous to your health. A pillow from hip to ankle or any configuration similar as long as you are t bending the knee over the pillow. I have had a couple of good reprimand from docs and therapists alike over this issue.
  • Posted

I don't think you'll be able to handle a trip like that in such a short time. Sitting with a curled up leg can put you in agony. I would 1st discuss it with my surgeon as In many cases you are still in surgical hose to prevent blood clots at 6 weeks. You will get a number of different responses on here but I want to remind you this is a brutal surgery and recovery is not a text book situation. Whatever you decide, don't do anything to create bigger problems than you already are going to be having. I can almost assure you that you will still be on pain meds and having to ice to prevent swelling. All the expectations of rest and relaxation and such a short distance sounds terrific but unfortunately reality rears its ugly head. I won't bore you with my history but I'm having a new knee inserted (been without one for 3 1/2 months due to staph) in 11 days. I have already declined wedding invitaion in mid Sept as I know from the past 4 rehabs I would never be able to make the 8 hr drive. Not only is it the knee but the entire system, mentally and physically takes a terrific pounding. Whatever your decision, best of luck.
  • Posted

Personally, I would have hated to be away from home and in a caravan at five weeks . . There is nothing like the comfort of your own home when you can't sleep, pain is pretty much constantly with you,  . . Even getting up and down the usually fairly high step into a caravan would have been a hassle for me . . . and the limited space would make it more likely to be bumping into things. . . Miles away from your doctor in the event of pssibly needing advice  . . . Five weeks is quite early in the healing process!
  • Posted

I have a caravan by the sea,my first visit after my op was at 4 week,I managed very well in the caravan (no stairs no housework etc) the only difficulty I had was getting in and out of bed, this was largely due to the layout of the van,and not much room to manover, but I did manage. My journey takes about 2hours and I did need a stop on the way to have a stretch, the first time I went I had my legs up on the back seat. The biggest problem was going to the loo on the way as I was still using the raised loo seat and didnt want to walk about the services with it. As long as you feel well and your scar is healing I say go for it, but be realistic about what you will be ablle to do when you get there (not much) remember to keep up the icing/meds /excercise routine and rest and relax ! good luck
  • Posted

Hi Christine,  I did the same thing at five weeks.  I was in the top ten for recovery which was very lucky BUT not only was the journey exhausting, the step up and down to get in was tiring and the lack of home comforts was suddenly very glaring.  You may be much luckier but I would definitely wait to see how you recover in the first few weeks.   Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you. 
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks post op and I wouldn't dream of going anywhere for at least another month. I have everything I need around me, a doctor down the road, a fridge, pain meds,a comfortable bed and chair and my adoring smelly dogs

The whole proceedure is brutal and you need rest in a familiar surrounding.

it will not be a holiday for you especially after 150 miles in a cramped car there and back and bumping around in a confined space in a strange land

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.