Advice following knee surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just wondering how others felt two days after knee surgery

Although I can just about chive a 90 degree bend I am finding it extremely stiff and painful.Just wondering whether this is typical

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Very typical Christine.

I was still in a lot of pain and with a lot of swelling after both my TKRs.

it'lol be hard work for a while yet, but keep taking the painkillers and ice after exercise.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Christine, you do sound ike you are doing wonderfully well. The only thing that the hospital wanted from me was to be able to go up and down stairs with the help of a cane. I was there about 2 days - since the 3rd  fell on a friday and they wanted rid of us in advance of the weekend. I certainly didn't have 90 degrees at that time - and am only getting it now (on a good day when the wind is in the right dircection) and I am at 8 weeks post TKR.  Listen to the folks on the forum when they tell you that the emotional aspects of this surgery are downplayed (or negelected to be mentioned) by the health professionals. I think many of us (certainly I have) have had little mini melt downs along the way .... I have cried at physio and to friends and family (sometimes over nothing). Each day gets a bit better but there might also be days when you seem to be going in the wrong direction! Oh yeah ... I had some issues with muscle strtength and ended up marooned on the stair landing ...I couldn't go up and I couldn't go down .... that was not pretty  and I almost lost the plot. I can (sort of) laugh about it now but at the time??? NO WAY. I am lucky that I have not had much pain either at night or during the day - but I do make sure to take some pain med before the physio sessions as it helps me to 'allow' the physio to push a little harder .... and I don't have to hit him with my cane ...so win/win situation (just kidding about hitting him with the cane).  take care and let us know how you get along ....

Donna

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I had a bilateral TKR 5 months ago. I also was told that I needed to be at least 90' when I left the hospital. My ROM came pretty easy and was over 99 when I left.Having said that, the recovery for this surgery is VERY hard. The stiffness will last for a long time. While at 5 months it's less, it's still major especially after sitting for an hour or even less. It does go away quicker now. This is just the beginning for you. Just be very patient with yourself. Understand as others have said that there will be ups and downs. Though some peoe may have quick recoveries, most of us don't. This blog has helped me so much during my recovery as I am sure it will help you too. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.I realise that this will be a long journey and I will probably be relying g on your support a lot over the next few months.

• Posted

Hi, well I'm now three weeks post op from my 2nd pkr, I had my first  Physio last Tuesday so was then 2 was p o, and could only manage 85 bend then, so I think your doing really well, although I have to say this knee isn't as fast getting on as the other one was, not that that's better yet either, that one now at 13 weeks, . I went out yesterday , with other half and dogs, for a a bit of a walk, with both crutches I might add, a very slow walk, for an hour, throughly enjoyed it, but I am paying for it now, but I really enjoyed getting out, going a bit mad staying in,. So will be resting quite a bit today. Your doing really well, that's more what I was like with the first one, so keep it up.👍😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.