Advice....have doctors appointment today

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good morning everyone :D

I have been reading all posts on this site for the past few weeks, basically doing some research into Xenical.

I have been to the docs 4 times about my weight, and my constant struggle to lose weight. This is by no means a sob story, but i feel like it is so hard for me to lose even the smallest amount. I am currently on weight watchers, but to no avail.

My last appointment with my docs, they tried to prescribe me antidepressants, but i am not depressed!! I have absolutely no self esteem or confidence left what so ever sad

I am 5 ft 7, and weigh 14 stone 8lbs, on some web sites my BMI can go between 31 and 32 (classed as obese) so I know i fall into the category.

Can anyone tell me their experiences about Xenical, and if they felt they had to fight to get it prescribed?

Sorry for rambling :oops:

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have a great GP, hadnt even discussed the pills as didnt know they were available and initially went to see her about a referral for Gastric Banding which the Consultant wanted before he would even see me to discuss the options.

My GP suggested talking the Orlistat, discussed it in detail and gave me some leaflets from this site to read. I made an appointment the following week to confirm whether the go on Orlistat or the other pill which I cant remember the name of and hey presto got my pills that afternoon.

I have the first weigh in tomorrow but already know that I have lost over 3kg and 9inches off my body. Getting into smaller jeans is such a confidence booster and keeps you motivated to persevere with the pills.

I know from reading past threads that some GPs dont easily prescribe them but it may be worth asking to see a different GP in your Practice or asking them to confirm exactly why they are unwilling to prescribe them. It may well be there is a perfectly reasonable explanation and they just havent told you.

Hang in there hun

:wink:

• Posted

Hi

My GP suggested the 2 options recommending Orlistat

She gave me info on each and then left it to me to decide

She said she thought I had made the right choice - I know about the appetite supressants as my sister is just finishing a year on them and they have worked well for her but i didn't feel appetite was my problem.

I had to loose 4-7lbs before she would prescribe them which I did.

The tabs were duly prescribed but very little other info was given

Had my first accident was about to stop taking them and then found this website which has been my lifeline

Am just at the end of my first month and cr*pping myself (not literally) as today is weigh in day

Good luck with whatever you do

Laups

• Posted

Hi

I first thought about them last year but managed with dietician to motivate myself and lose some weight which has since gone back on. I have seen the gp a few times about weight and when I went 10 days ago it was to ask for orlistat. I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands but she suggested them before i asked for them!!

THey focus my head and I have been fine on them over the last week and scales say I have lost some. Got a months supply then have to see doc again and if all ok will represcribe for me. If no good will look at other options.

By eating low fat the wieght will come off and the tabs help cos you know if you stray you will pay!!!!

KJ

• Posted

Hi,

I went to the GP first because I was eating a low fat diet and NOT loosing weight, she did the usual thing of getting bloods done and they all came back normal and then asked me what I wanted to do - I was at the end of my tether and just said that I needed something or someone to help me, but I didn't know about Orlistat then, only heard of Reductil - but she did my BMI and asked did I want to try Orlistat.

I said I'd try anything if it helped and she gave me 1 months supply gave me, no indication of side effects or anything - luckily I googled them before starting and found this lifeline :D

I went back 3 weeks later to get weighed and hoped for more pills and she didn't even weigh me!!! Just gave me a repeat script for 3 months - I'm about to collect my last lot tomorrow and I still haven't been weighed yet - by my reckoning I've lost about 1 stone since late May and had 3 weeks off in July whilst I went to Ghana.

Good luck in getting them and you could always ask to see the practice nurse rather than the doctor. :D

• Posted

hi all,

it seems very odd not to be weighed at all. it was the first thing my doctor did, then i was measured..

a very healthy 5ft 7'' / 15.5st = bmi 38!

i'm a bouncer, i need to be solid-looking :D

i've never been slim in my life, don't even know how a flat stomach feels like - never had one! and on orlistat alone i put on 8 lbs!

great craving for chocolate and fruit, urges to go to the loo, no orange oil though but constant bloating and spotts that don't want to heal.

i'm going to get Reductil next monday and try it for a month. if it won't help i'm back onto kwasniewski diet - at least i felt better on a full fat diet smile

have fun

• Posted

Hiya,

I didn`t have any problems getting the tabs I have to say.

I stopped smoking almost 8 months ago and I piled on the pounds.

I just told him that I didn`t have enough will power to spread around and needed a boost.

I hate all that BMI stuff. I think it gets people so paranoid and upset when it lands u in the obese section.

We know we`re overweight. Us and more than half the population of UK....(and the world.. :lol: )

Explain to your doc u are NOT depressed.....but that ur weight is getting u down and ur looking for him/her to help u.....not slap u on an anti-d.

Good Luck to u.

• Posted

Hiya.. had been trying to loose weight for sometime.. but my GP was quite good in starting me on them.. however.. have been started on them as need fertility investigations and at the moment they wont do that until my BMI is below 30 (am 5ft7 and was 17stone.. have lost a stone and a half). But also if I need IVF I also need to have a BMI between 25 and below 30... so am in this for the long haul! :wink:

Good luck and hope you succeed with your GP!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.