Advice needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been to see gp as side effects of coming off amitriptyline cold turkey are getting worse. He recommended go back on it using much smaller dose. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heather

What mg did you go cold turkey on?

I tried to do the same on 150mg but side affects were awful,i decided to do it my own way,i have reduced 10mg every month and in now on 60mg

Take it nice and steady,i dont believe in going cold turkey have tried that approach on many occasions with other meds that i take and the safe approach is to wean off slowly,i hope this is of some help to you

Take care

Nikki

• Posted

Hi Nikki

I was only on 75mg but withdrawal symptoms horrendous. Facial numbness, odd feeling in head, nausea, weakness, terrible restless leg, weepy and muscle tension even my jaw is tense. Do you have the same

Heather

• Posted

Hi Heather

I did start of with restless leg,insomnia,but i think my body is used to the slow weaning off,i get headaches,but my sleeping is much better now,stick at it,i hope to reduce again at the end of the month,will keep you posted,good luck,

Nikki☺

• Posted

Hello Heather I have been down that road over the last twenty years on Amitryptaline.

It is an absolute nightmare, 6 maybe 7 times I have tried to come off Amitryptaline with NO SUCCESS.

My GP tried reducing the dose to 10mg & even then I found the withdrawal symtoms unbearable, so eventually I did it with the aid of my GP by starting on PROZAC 20mg twice a day & then withdrawing the AMITRPTALINE. After 2 weeks of trying to decrease the AMITRYPTALINE GRADUALLY I gave up & decided to try one more time cold turkey. It has been nearly 4 months now since I have been off amitrptaline, it has been damn hard but, I am detremined not to go back on this HORRIFIC DRUG so, even the reducing down to 10mg per day I still could not handle the effects. I am going to carry on though, I am led to beleive it could take a year or two to get rid of the side effects of AMITRPTALINE.

take care, it is a hard & long road & I am still hanging in there. JACKIE xxx

• Posted

Hi Jackie, thanks for sharing your experience. It's a horrible drug and these effects are driving me crazy. Do you still take prozac.

Heather

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.