Advice needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I've been on citalopram 10 mg for first week and 20 mg for last 2 weeks, I started to feel bit better last 2 days but then today have been rough again. It's mainly anxiety. I'm wondering if it's normal to be up and down with the anxiety whilst on the meds?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It was for me personally and still Am very up and down 5 weeks in and have had about a total of maybe a week of good days if that. Everything I've read says up and downs are normal but my question is for how long before Were mostly up and very little of down, I've talked to people who are ten years deep in treatment and still have the up and downs, now most have a cpl weeks of good then a day or two of down then back to good but still, even tho at this point I'd take a 50/50 split of good and bad, I'd take a nice great week even if it meant the next week would be feeling this Way again

• Posted

Yes sad to say all normal, everything should work out in the future
  • Posted

I had a great week four weeks into 20mg of celexa (cit) and i have been nauseous and tired and a sick stomach for the past four days. I wouldn't say i am overly anxious, but i feel the sick part from when i first started. Keep calm, it takes time.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback, it's quite encouraging as at least I can hope for things picking up still. I understand that the anxiety can take longer to go...?

• Posted

Yes absolutely.  You might continue to be up and down for sometime to come yet too. Don't worry, its perfectly normal.  Just keep going, they can take a very long time to work but the wait is worth it.

K x

• Posted

I love your responses! Are you taking cit? Woke up this morning with an anxious stomach, chest burning and went to the bathroom. Now i am laying here and i cant turn my mind off. Thinking of things from years ago. Just so random, but yeah, five weeks and four days in. I had one great week and then i started feeling like this again.
    • Posted

Thanks wink

I took Citalopram for 16 years, but have recently come off it.  Yes anxious tummy and chest is quite common first thing in the morning - when I was recovering, I'd still get that every morning despite getting better.  It was the last symptom to disappear for me.

Feeling great then down again is normal when recovering.  This pattern often repeats itself throughout, getting easier each time until eventually the down times (blips) cease to happen anymore.  

• Posted

Hi Tim38228

Yes I believe it is quite normal to be up and down with anxiety and emotions the first 6 weeks or so. Just hang in there and be aware of how your feeling as it does pass. It takes a good 8 weeks until you completely level out and feel the benefits .

Walk, exercise, garden or do whatever you can to take your mind off it. I've been on it for 3 months now and it has made a big difference.

All the best

• Posted

Yes on Citalopram. I did start to feel better but then something set me off again and it made me think the meds weren't working..

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Posted

I've started use light treatment too...it seems to be making a difference..

• Posted

It's where you have a specific light (10000lux I think ) and have it in front of you for 20-30 mins per day. It replaces the natural light you miss during the day..you have to buy it privately. Cost between 30 - 150 pound.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.