Advice needed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, apologies if this has been asked on here already. My 7year old daughter has CKD however she's been itching a lot, is this normal?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sean,

I use anti-histamine myself which helps and also to sleep at night

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hello,

I have CKD Stage 4 and I itch.  I believe many people with CKD do get an itchy skin.  I have read that it is something to do with the build up of toxins. I understand it can be treated with a drug called gabapentin but some pople use anthistamines at first.  Ask your GP.

• Posted

Although I am on dialysis, the one product that make me itch all over, where it seems overwhelming is milk products. It is the phosphorus in them.

To counteract the effects, I use a phosphorus binder called Sevelamer carbonate which is the ingredients of Renvela.

The itching got so bad I couldn't sleep at night.

A fellow dialysis patient informed me have you been drinking milk or eating cheese, and my answer was yes.

I also found out by the renal dietician that phosphorus causes itching with dialysis patients.

If an antihistamines don't work, try the binder above.

Good luck, I hope my information helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.