Advice needed after physio

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys, did my first hour long physio class in the gym yesterday, it consisted of  various exercises for two minutes at a time, the physio told us we would ache for a couple of days but am finding today although I do have some pain, the knee and leg are so stiff this morning, now should I rest up today or try to walk around as much as possible and maybe do a little exercise advice please?  and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am 5 weeks and 4 days after TKR.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I discovered some stretching exercises when it was very stiff after therapy. Took it a little easier, iced and elevated. But stretch, and take a short walk. Don't overdue. I am 12 weeks post op and still have stiffness (and over did this weekend). They say it can take up to a year to feel normal again.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, thanks for replying, I have been sat sliding my operated leg back and for on the floor this morning to assist the bend like we did yesterday in physio, will do some stretching exercises and maybe walk a little, I have read on this forum people saying it felt like a band below the knee and today I know what they mean lol! thanks for the advice, Good luck in your continued recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Susie, I was the same after physio. My physio told me to take it a little easier the day after I had been to physio but to do all the stretches, heel slides step ups etc and take a litle walk too.

​Wen I came home from physio I immediately iced and elevated leg and had a liitle rest too.

​I am 16 weeks now and my knee still swells and gets stiff I was told it would be like this for up to 2 years. Best wishes for your continuing recovery. Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue, thanks for the good advice, have been doing mainly the knee slides and also a few step ups on the stairs, also been for a little walk so thats enough for today, going to elevate and maybe ice or maybe heat not sure which yet, good luck for your continuing recovery, Susie x

• Posted

Normally the leg and knee will be stiff every day for a long time to come.

Sometimes it will be worse than other days but it will always be there. Keep doing your exercises, icing and elevating. You have had major surgery. Every muscle, nerve, tendon and ligament have been tampered with. They all have to start functioning again. It will take time. What doesn't hurt today will hurt tomorrow. Good luck! !

• Posted

Thans for the encouragement and advice really appreciate you taking the time x
  • Posted

Nothing strenuous....stretch and ice several times. Be sure and increase your hydration by having a big glass of water handy all day.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, to be honest I havent done hardly any icing maybe I should,? how about using heat, surely that should relax the muscles too?  Water going down a treat too, dont think I have ever drunk so much lol.
    • Posted

Heat is never recommended by therapists. It causes poolinfg and swelling while ice takes away swelling. You can ice as many times a day as you want....best to use 15 to 20 mins at a time. B3 sure and put cloth between y ok I and the ice bag, especially if it's any sort of plastic. Plastic can cause the skin 5o freeze or cause frost bite. Ever since my 1st of 5 rehabs I used a gelpac with a pillow case. Gelpacs are the blue flexible, quick regressing ones. You can look them up on Amazon to see what I'm talking about if you aren't familiar.

• Posted

Thanks so much for telling me that, guess its ice packs tonight then lol but will check Amazon for the Gelpacs thanks again.
    • Posted

Yes Susie, ice became my best friend, the ice pack i got came with two ice packs and one sleeve, on pack on and one in freezer, def ice xx
    • Posted

Have ordered a Gelpac type thing from Amazon tonight so

should get that in a few days. Am I right in thinking it will help with pain too, since physio the kneecap is a bit painful in places

• Posted

It will help reduce swelling which will help with pain. Not to be confused with eliminating pain completely. Pain meds and icing along with hydration and el eff cation all become part of the big picture and even with that, you are going to hurt for awhile.
    • Posted

Well  said meds physio, ice elevate rest and drink plenty water....new way of life.

​How are you today? hope you are feeling a bit better x

• Posted

Today I am hurting in one spot.....mostly all over. I was supposed to go in for xrays but couldn't handle the thought of freeway traffic into downtown part of the city plus waiting in ER for hours.....besides my Dr is on vacation. I talked to my therapist and he thinks it was a possibility that my brain just didn't fully fire the nerves to make my leg work. I know it sure hurts when you haven't been past 117 and in the blink of an eye you go to 135. Like I mentioned....I had a MUA without the UA.

• Posted

Ach I'm sorry to hear you still suffering. Reading your post when you fell and decided you needed to do a self MUA it sounded horrible. I hope you can get some relief and can cope with getting the x - rays done. As you keep telling us rest elevate ice and drink plenty of water. Take care thinking about you x

• Posted

Thanks........we had about 5 days respite from the summer heat then yesterday it jumped to a heat index of 110 and actual temp will be 100 today so resting and inhaling fluids will be an easy task. Going to stay close to an AC vent and be comfortable.
    • Posted

Just take care, look after yourself and your wife and no more midnight gymnastics!!!!!
    • Posted

To be honest no, I feel as if I have gone backwards. Prior to physio I felt really good, no pain and was getting around well and doing my own exercises but now, two days after my physio session well I just feel so down as my kneecap area is painful, stiffer than before is this normal do you know......
    • Posted

You make me look back with a year in my eye when midnight gymnastics were a whole much more memorable meaning in life......at least I still can remember that far back.
    • Posted

Should have said tear not year. Corrected it twice and it still changed the word.
    • Posted

Hi Susie, i had six sessions physio and just know she worked me so hard for a couple days after i was really sore. I kept up with the exercises she had given me to do at home and went for a wee walk but had to take it a bit easier and ice more and up my meds those 2 days.

​Are you back next week or could you give the physio dept a ring and sya you are in pain? x

• Posted

Hi Sue,  I do feel a little better this morning, still stiff but can cope with that, took more painkillers last night but thankfully have not needed them so far today, which I am pleased with. I am back at physio next Monday and am booked in for the next 5 weeks with them. I am going to mention how i felt though, maybe they would consider that normal who knows ? . will let you know how I get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.