Advice needed (hypothyroidism)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had this condition since I was 12 (9years) but my levels are still crazy, I also have fibromyalgia, but I was wondering if there are any other medications available in the uk other than thyroxine, my weight has never been normal since 11 but in 3 years I've gained 4 stone. I no longer see an endocrinologist as the clinic shut, but never got answers, as they felt I was too young for drastic treatments.  If anyone can help or would like any advice on long term problems, please reply. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello janine ,I know how you feel although a lot older than you (69) I also put on 4 stone after being tiny all my adult life,finally diagnosed after about 9 years of misery & put on levothyroxine which didnt help at all.Finally I took matters into my own hands & read all I could about my condition in a book called Stop The Thyroid madness which was like a light coming on.I found out there was a natural product that was used for hundreds of years very succesfully until some bright spark invented a synthetic tablet that Dr's give to everyone and which does not suit many patients,I changed to Armour thyroid 3 months ago and am much better than I have been for years.I am not a Dr but according to the book most Dr's are not very knowledgeble about Thyroid.If I were you I would read up on it and perhaps join a thyroid group on Facebook,they are all sufferers & someone on there will help you ,they are excellent but there is a wait to join.Let me know how you get on,there is help out there but probably not from a GP
    • Posted

Thank you so much, I will definitely try the rpfb group. Like you I try to read up on things, so I will have to go searching for the book. 
    • Posted

You can get it on Amazon, Janine, a bit pricey but very useful when you develop another symtom which you think no-one else has. Its American but written by a woman who was undiagnosed & suffered for years before reading all she could find & talking to many thousands of people with bad experiences with the GP's & together they built up a wealth of information which she knew she had to share.When you join the Facebook group you will be amazed at just how many of us are suffering at the hands of undertrained Dr's

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.