Advice Needed - NHS Complaints re. Poor Treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

I have struggled with IBS for about six years now.

Last July, I developed what is known as an infected anal fistula from my (as you probably know!) more-than-regular toilet usage. I was then diagnosed in August by a consultant with the problem, the only treatment being surgery under general anesthetic.

Since then, I have been on painkillers such as Codeine which are terrible for the stomach, but the fistula pain is so overwhelming at times that taking painkillers is unavoidable if I wish to continue with ordinary life.

I then moved house and due to a change of area, the hospital in that locality would not let me book an operation, but made me go through the dehumanising process of seeing a GP, then consultant, and so forth to book my operation again. During this time I was hospitalised twice as I could not walk from the excruciating pain, and continued to up my medication.

After finally being given an operation date in January, this was then cancelled during my pre-op due to a hereditary heart issue that I needed to be cleared for, despite it not impacting your life until you reach old age (I'm 27).

Following an all clear from my heart test, I attempted to rebook my operation and was told to go BACK to the GP and book further heart tests, despite them previously saying to rebook it straight with the hospital following the all clear.

Therefore, I went to the GP where she helpfully wrote a letter saying I did not need to be referred for more tests, and to rebook my op. I rang the operations department for the millionth time, and they told me to wait, and they'd get back to me on the day. Two weeks later, after hearing nothing, I called, and they said I would have to go back to the GP and begin the entire process again with a doctor's appointment, then consultant referral, tests etc. Ridiculous, I know.

Anyway, after telling them that was unacceptable (in a stern fashion) and speaking directly to the colorectal surgeon's secretary, they booked my operation in for this Wednesday. However, today they rang to tell me that it was to be cancelled as they were too busy with other operations and mine was not a priority, despite it being cancelled previously for spurious reasons (as the doctor conducting my pre-op assessment suggested).

They said it could be in two weeks, but is liable to get cancelled again. I have suffered for over 9 months now with this pain, and the regular consumption of painkillers and inability to perform properly at work and so forth is severely impacting my physical and mental health.

I am now at my wits end with this situation - and nearly in tears when I think about it, the pain is truly unbearable and has resulted in many sacrifices, such as giving up my beloved dog as I could not provide sufficient exercise. So my question is - would an official complaint get me anywhere? And has anyone had experience with such complaints? I do not want the added stress to only be turned away again by the frustrating NHS system.

Thank you for your time,

Ed

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Replying so i can follow.

Yep the NHS is *** and 3rd rate.

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

Make a complaint and consider going private. I got permanently injured after a blood test and the Practice nurse laughed at me when I complained about her colleague. So I reported them to my GP and they were both moved from the Practice.

• Posted

hi edward, i have read your post a few times but didn't know how to respond, i think this - the way you've been treated is disgraceful, whilst i agree with pippa, you may not have the means to go private. i have had problems due to my ibs but not as severe as yours. i have been battling to get an accurate diagnosis for years. the fault seems to lie with your hospital - you need to see if there is an ombusdman where you live who will help you to write an official letter of complaint, then put meetings in place if necessary to support so they do your operation. if you really want anyone to blame try this Government! good luck report back.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice everyone, really appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.