Advice needed please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wrote a post last night asking about reducing from 30 to 20mg only to be woke this morning with anxiety racing again and can feel some physical symptoms creeping in to. this was the reason I was told to drop to 20 as the docs thought the 30 dose was too much for me after 4 weeks on it and I was having to take diazepam to calm me down so I'm now scared that they will want to change my medication now. I was on citalopram for 7 years before and it worked fine any advice would be great thanks x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I haven't been on the higher dose of Citalopram, but i did go from 20mg to 10mg because of the side effects were too much. It may take a little longer for your body to get used to the lower dose. Go to your GP for a reveiw of your medication and explain how your feeling. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Dawn

I took these meds for 15 years and was well on them all this time.  I came off them a year ago and felt well for a year.  Due to the stress of family illness I felt I needed them again before I slipped into a dark hole, and restarted them about 4 months ago.  Oh boy, I'd forgotten what the initial side effects were like!  My heart raced so much one morning I thought I was dying!  I persevered through all the nasty side effects and have again come through to calmer waters now.

Reducing the meds too will give you side effects ...... can you reduce them to 25mg for a while and then down to 20mg?  It might help ease the side effects.

I thought these weren't going to work for me again, but they have.

• Posted

Hi Katecogs this is encouraging because my depression seems to keep coming back ive had 6years off ads and stayed well but have just had to go back on citalopram, was just wondering what the problems of staying on them long term
    • Posted

Hi damo47

You can take Citralopram for life if needed.  I was curious to see if I could be without meds, as over the years I'd reduced them to 10mg and was comfortable on that, so wondered if I could.  

• Posted

Hi Katecogs, thanks for the reply once i get myself better i might consider staying on the low dose
    • Posted

Hi damo47 & to All,

I've only been on Citalopram for around 5 months for the first time, I feel pretty good they did have me up to 30 mg cause "Im such a hard case with Social Anxiety" Gee thanks lol.  I've read  a lot latey about this drug and one thing that seems to run with every one that has been on it and done well, then thought I'm feeling better now or don't want to be onmeds anymore (which i can understand) so they come off.  Then usually the original symptoms come back and they start again but for some reason the second time gives most a reallly hard time, most feel severe anxiety, aggraphobia, generally not well and with some i've read pure paranoia and scared in general of being alone or even dying.  Now that's a bad way to have to feel.   I figured a while ago, when I broke my arm I had an operation and a cast etc.  If i have severe panick attacks and anxiety, aggraphobia it's also a something that's broken, my Phsyciatrist said this to me years ago, I thought I was week if I really needed something, (not addictive drugs of course) rip that im a bad person because i take.......  off your chest.  Your all doing what you can and your best.

Good on everyone I wish you all the best.

Nicola

• Posted

Ohh yeah, they had me on 30, I def had to come down to a low does at least to begin with.  so good job.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.