Advice needed please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,  I know we each have different rates of recovery but how did you feel and what could you do 2 weeks after your op. It will be 2 weeks on Friday and I dont think I am doing enough but some of the exercises I really just cannot do because of pain. To be fair I havent done any today apart from walking from the house to the car and then to the surgery and same back as after having the staples out the nurse told me to take it easy for today but am hearing different things from different people -  the general concensus seems to be mainly rest for the first two weeks and then to increase exercising after that, would you agree with that? All comments/advice welcome please?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm also 2 weeks post op on Friday, doing my exercises at least 3 times a day, icing up to at least 8 times a day and doing two short walks a day, physio is quite happy with this. I know it sounds silly, but the more you move, the less the pain is. Also do your exercises at least 1and a half hours after you have had your pain medication, that also helps. 
    • Posted

Hi Diane, thanks for replying, I havent had a physio appointment through yet since leaving hospital which is why I was unsure at what speed i should/could be doing things  the pain generally is better than it was, until the dreaded "toothache" pain kicks in, thanks for the help/advice. How are you feeling in yourself?  Are you sleeping - am having real problems in that area, just cannot get comfortable x
    • Posted

Sleeping is a problem, am propped up on pillows at the moment, but have to stretch a few times during the night. I take 2 paracetamol and 1 Tramadol at about 10pm, then another Tramadol in the early hours if I need it.  I have a very high motivation, I am a retired personal trainer so I won't be beaten, which, if I'm honest, could be my downfall. All in all, I'm not feeling too bad, but that might change when my husband goes back to work next week, so we shall so. 
    • Posted

Tramadol do not have any effect on me I am still on Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Oxycontin, am waking up every hour but I am hoping it will settle down eventually, good luck when your husband goes back to work, I am lucky in that my husband works from home.
  • Posted

Rest is the most important thing. You need to regain your strength. I am sure you are not sleeping through the night.
    • Posted

No I am not,  I am waking up every hour, I cant sleep on my back and as my leg is still not straight, I cannot put it flat, I have tried turning on my side and putting a small cushion under my leg which is ok for a while but then gets just as uncomfortable so have to try and move again - which is a feat in itself frown and after having my staples out today I am not looking forward to moving around too much in bed tonight - although I think it should be ok - hopefully!
    • Posted

I was told not to sleep with a pillow under my knee. It was fine to do before the surgery, but that will contribute to problems (as in being able to properly straighten your leg) in the future. I know it helps ease the pain, but try to avoid it.
    • Posted

So was I. It causes the leg to stiffen too much and not be able to straighten without a lot pain and discomfort. It is hard sleeping. I found it very hard to sleep on my back but even now find its the only way I can get comfortable.
    • Posted

I'm not a back sleeper and having both knees in recovery mode at the same time was a bit of what I assume hell will be like. No position every felt comfortable for very long. I used lots of pillows to prop myself up. One of the doctors (or PT) recommended putting a pillow between my legs. It took a while to find the comfortable position. And then my body would need to twist and turn and the joy of finding that place of comfort began again. Knowing that was normal helped. smile
  • Posted

Rest and listen to your body...I am 5 weeks post-op and finally slept thru the night...it takes lots of time and patience....go slow with the exercises and rebuild your strength...ice, elevate and take your meds...good luck
    • Posted

Thank you, I am hardly icing and elevating so maybe I should be doing that more, have ordered a new footstool this afternoon as the ones we have here are just too high, so hopefully when that arrives it will be easier.
    • Posted

You need to elevate and ice to help reduce swelling especially after physio exercises walking. Even on sofa lie with feet up on sofa.
  • Posted

At 2 weeks you should not be doing much except the exercises, icing and elevating. And taking your meds regularly. Don't wait to get sore as harder to get on top of pain then. Gradually you will find you can do bit more. As for sleep it is hard for everyone so rest during day.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Sue for your reply, I am finding that I can sleep in the chair during the day so that is what I have been doing, must ice and elevate more though as I have not been doing that redface
  • Posted

Hi Susie,

I am 4 weeks po. The first two were very tough, very painful. I done some of the excerises but like you was very hard. Third week got better was able to move a little more, pain still there, same with swelling.

Everyone is different. The best advice I received on this forum is listen to your body, take pain meds when scheduled, ice ice and more ice, elevate. Rest do what you can but try to get the knee moving, ankle pumps, heel slides,

What ever you can do helps. But don't over do it.

The people on here are fantastic and they are always here to help with encouragement.

Thanks and good luck and take care

ICE ICE ICE ICE IS YOUR FRIEND

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply, I agree the response on this forum is terrific and always so encouraging I am glad that I seem to be at the same stage as you were two weeks in will just keep on as I am going and try to do a little more each day, as I previously said I am hardly icing or elevating so I really have to do more of that, but thanks again and Good Luck , Sue
    • Posted

Tom is right about the first two weeks being the hardest. Week three I definitely felt a shift and knew that I was begining to move out of the woods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.