Advice needed please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,  I know we each have different rates of recovery but how did you feel and what could you do 2 weeks after your op. It will be 2 weeks on Friday and I dont think I am doing enough but some of the exercises I really just cannot do because of pain. To be fair I havent done any today apart from walking from the house to the car and then to the surgery and same back as after having the staples out the nurse told me to take it easy for today but am hearing different things from different people -  the general concensus seems to be mainly rest for the first two weeks and then to increase exercising after that, would you agree with that? All comments/advice welcome please?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Susie, it is a painful process, but you need to find ways to stretch and move. Because my furniture was difficult to get in and out of (I had a bilateral TKR, so both knees were out of commission), I chose to lounge in my bed. I didn't realize how this was a positive in getting my knees to straighten. But I didn't just sit there, I was constantly finding ways to work on my range of motions, bending my knees and lifting them straight from the side of the bed (it was high enough that I could dangle them). Also while sitting with legs straight out on my bed I would slide my feet up towards my rear, gently. And then holding it for about 10 seconds. Then I would bring it in a little more, holding again. And one final move and hold. Initially I didn't get very close, but after continually doing this, I was seeing progress. My PT also would put a fist under my knee (when lounging on the bed in a sitting position) and then I would have to push against it, lifting my heels off the ground. When he wasn't there I found a plush toy (a hedghog of all things) that I would push against. This also helped with my straightening. Before I was at my two week mark, he also had me attempting stairs. I was terrified I was going to fall, but I was determined that I would be able to go up and down stairs the same way a normal person does. 1.5 years later I am happy to say that I do this. I might not have the same spring in my step as I did when I was younger, but I don't look like someone who had both knees replaced.

Hang in there and make yourself move. And ice it! If I could have had more ice packs, I would have. Coordinating the exercise with ice and meds is the best way to go. After taking your pain pill (and it's started to take the edge off) exercise. Then ice it. And if you are lucky, you will be able to nap afterward (part of the beauty of hanging out in my bed was there was always a pillow nearby to drop my head onto when I was able to sleep). Grabbing sleep where and when I could really helped. At 6 weeks I was getting on a train, traveling 4 hours across India to visit a friend, and was able to walk up several flights of stairs to get to her flat. I had that goal as well as a trip to Thailand from India (I was living in India at the time, but home is in the USA).

You can do this!

• Posted

Wow!!! what an inspiration you are!! when sitting in the chair I am lifting my leg off the floor and holding for the count of 5  and repeating two or three times, lifting in and out of bed is okay, I can do the stairs with my crutches as the hospital wouldnt discharge me till I could negotiate them, I am rotating my ankles when sitting in the chair and also pulling my knee back as far as I can comfortably, I find though that when I am walking I can step properly with my operated leg but for some reason seem to be hopping/dragging my good leg, I really have to concentrate on lifting the good leg to step properly, did you have that?
    • Posted

Yes, I had to walk slowly and deliberately, being more aware of every move. It was as if I had to remind myself how to walk.  My knees would buckle, sometimes I was fearful they would give out. It's all a matter of building up the muscles and getting things to work together again. Your good leg has had a lot of additional strain put on it, maybe it's got a mind of it's own and wants a break. lol
  • Posted

Hi Susie,

I hard my first TKR four years ago, and did all the excersices religiously, iced and rested, and had a good bend. 

I had my second knee done last August, and was prepared for pain, swelling etc.

I did excersices as and when, didn't  bother hardly at all with icing, walked round as much as possible, and guess what they both feel exactly the same now.

We are all different we all suffer the initial pain, it's a big operation to get over.

A Jamaican sister at the hospital gave me the best advice ever.

Sit on a high stool with both legs off the floor and swing those legs,backwards and forwards from the knees. Do it as much as you can, keep em moving or they'll be like a creaky gate.

She was brilliant and made me laugh, but it worked my knees are really mobile, I drove after two weeks, my surgeon said it was ok.

I never used a walking stick for short walks at all,,and my GP couldn't believe it whe I walked into the surgery after four weeks under my own steam.

So don't be afraid to do anything your body feels comfortable with.

it will soon let you know when to stop.

• Posted

Hi Laura, wow !! more good advice, we have high stools upstairs in one of the bedrooms so i think I will give that a try too. Thank you for taking the time to reply, well done on your brilliant recovery x
  • Posted

Hi Susie , I also had my staples out today and was told to rest. I start physio tomorrow. I've been quite lucky not had much pain but quite a hit of swelling . I ice and elevate my leg in between walking around the house and doing the exercises I was told to do in hospital. As for sleeping I go to sleep with ice packs and that seems to help. Yesterday was a tough day but I think I over did it . I've been using a Zimmer frame and thought I could manage without it all the time , boy was I wrong. I do agree with what everyone says ice and elevate helps , plus listen to your own body , we are all different. Good luck and keep cheerful remember it will get better.

• Posted

Hi Susie.  Hang in there.  I am 8 weeks po. I started PT in the hospital and went home on a Sat then went to PT that Monday. I thought I was never going to make it. I was sure my knee was going to need to be manipulated and everything, because it was so stiff. I now have a bend to 130 and the last time I was at PT I was 1/2 inch from being flat. I also remember crying at night because it hurt so bad.  I feel the excersizes makes your knee feel better afterward. Moves better.  I still get sore and my dr said at 6 weeks that it was by no means healed. He said about 6 months.  Hang in there. You will get there. I am
  • Posted

Dear Susie

This is my second TKR. It has been done 15 days ago.  Less pain, better mobility, in general ripping benefits of many exercises before going on the operating table, walking without crutches in the last 4 days.Sleepping well from day one.

The first one it was a different story, lots of pain , on crutches upto week 6-7. Terrible pain, luck of sleep, hardly coping with the pain.

Mind you , I will need revision for the first operation, implant not sitting straight.

So you see, there is no rule.

Now, I need to do a lot of exercises to increase bend,  It is painful when

bending the leg.  Need to do it often. The knee gets stiff very quickly. 

I have physio every day. And doing exrecises every day, total only twice a day, not enough.  All the best to you.  And please keep your fingers crossed for me that I will be able to push the bend through the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.