Advice on Citalopram Andy recovery please

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have been on 30mg of citalopram for 4 weeks now and going up on to it wasn’t as bad as going from ten to twenty milligrams, it’s just that tried 20mg for twelve weeks and even though it did help me I just felt like it wasn’t doing enough. I am trying therapy too but my therapist isn’t very reliable so I don’t feel like it’s working too well. I have had an amazing three weeks were I felt like my old self but then yesterday I had a panic attack and it’s knocked my confidence, now I’m feeling panicky and edgy again. I am scared as I don’t want to go back to the dark place I was in before and I’m just hoping that if I stick with the 30mg then I will get there in the end. I don’t expect my life will ever be anxiety free as I know we all have to get it from time to time with life itself, it’s just the intensity I can’t cope with. Is there anyone out there that has got better on the citalopram alone without the other therapies as I’m really pinning my hopes on this drug. When I was really bad I was suicidal and I still take zopiclone 3.5mg to help me sleep which is working well but I know I have to come off it (doctors advice) and just don’t know if now is the right time. Any advice would be great thank you.x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gemma is lois again...I have recovered on ten milligrams without the therapys..the therapys didn't work for me .and as far as the ziplocone goes I too was on ziplocone for about a year and I wean myself off which was very easy didn't cause me no drama..the reason I came off the ziplocone was because I was having joint pain from it well I found out it was the ziplocone at first I thought it was the celexa ..and my doctor's where quick to try and diagnosed me with arthritis..any way to make the long story short..I try taking a Benadryl for sleep and Lord behold I slept like a baby..and my phychiatrist says I can take Benadryl for as long as I want..so is worth a try..

• Posted

You should stick to the 30 for along time..you keep going up in milligrams instead of letting the dosage really settle..just because you feel a little sketchy with anxiety at times that doesn't mean the celexa isn't working..if you felt better those few weeks that's a sign that it is working..

• Posted

Hi Lois, thank you for the advice, it’s always reassuring to know that I’m not alone with this. I have no intentions to go up from 30mg though, I’m happier and settled on it and I’m trying to remind myself that I’m not going back it’s just a blip, it’s just hard when doctors tell me that there is nothing more that can be done and I must rely on the therapy. It’s goid to hear that others are recovering on the citalopram alone though. I’m going to come off the zopiclone though.x
  • Posted

Hi Gemma

This is mirror image of what’s happened to me I started off on 20mg straight off and after 6 weeks went up to 30mg which is what I was told to do my GP I’ve been on 30mg for 3 weeksand was feeling really good but yesterday I had a bad day felt very anxious and on edge so I saw my GP this morning and she assured me I’m on the right road and it’s still very early days on the medication I feel better for hearing that as I was so disheartened as I had been doing so well. I’m just going to take it dayby day and try not to over think it all.

• Posted

Thank you Sherri and yes I agree we shouldn’t over think it but I know that that is easier said than done. We can do this Sherri we’re havjng better weeks so at least we are going in the right direction.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.