Advice on epidural for pain relief

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm booked in to have  an epidural for my osteo/lumbar stenosis/sciatica pain next Thursday..and I'm unsure whether to or not .Ive heard some not so good experiences from it ,numbness,worse pain,relief only lasting a few weeks. So I wondered if any of you have had one for pain from similar and what your experience was ...thank you in advance wink

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan, I have terrible OA all over my body. Had an epidural a while back and had instant relief. Mine last only a couple of months though. Not everyone is the same and some people get relief, some don't. I just had hip replacement 11 weeks ago, and getting ready for another next week. The epidural helped me at least with my back problems until I could get some other kind of treatment. I was desperate and probably would have tried anything anyone suggested to just get some relief. Wish I had more advice for you....Barb

• Posted

thank you Barb smile i know what you mean about being desperate ! I had a cortisone in the back about 5 years ago sadly only gave me 24 hours of minor relief. . good luck with the other hip smile

• Posted

Thanks Jan, yes had cortisone in back also two of them one on each side of my spine. Pretty much did nothing for me, but the epidural did. I was smiling like crazy when it was over because it felt so good with the pain being gone. I read a lot of articles before having it and some people said it "hurt". The pain management doctor who did mine was great and I didn't feel anything except a little pressure. It was over really quick and in fact took longer for them to prep me than the procedure. I hope it works for you. My brother said he had one once and it did nothing for him. I was very greatful to have a couple months of relief. Now for some relief from this hip pain. Having severe OA is terrible! My poor bones hurt so much, and right after the surgery will be having to use my hands and arms a lot to help move/manuver myself around and then my shoulders will be hurting...lol....I hope this is the end of the surgeries for a while for me. Wishing you the best of luck. It sure isn't fun being in pain all the time.  Barb

• Posted

´Hello.....I also suffer daily from terrible lower back pain, caused from OA and muscle weakness.  I take painkillers every morning, otherwise I can't get going.  I have never heard of having an epidural for this problem, I would also be a bit worried though, but sounds wonderful if it stops pain for several months.  I hope you will be painfree after having this done !!!

• Posted

Pidurals have been. Blessing in my case. They helped give a lot of relief .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.