Advice on fractured ankle and tibia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was hoping someone could share their experience of fractured ankle and tibia with me. I'm 49 and I fell off one step while visiting my son in south of France. I fractured my ankle and tibia in 4 places. Surgeons who have seen xrays say it is a very bad injury. I had my operation in France and had plates screws and pins fitted. After 10 days in hospital I came home and attended my local hospital. Surgeon here says that the leg has not been fixed properly and there is so much metal in it that there can't be any movement and thus stopping it from healing. Surgery was on 27 May. Latest xrays on 19 July show it hasn't healed. I'm really frightened ill have to go through another operation. Anyone else with similar experience.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

How annoying for you. I broke my fibula 10 months ago. Medic didn't even bother to take me to hospital. Never healed, then I had to have a bone graft from my hip 4 months later, they had to straighten bone and add 6 screws and a plate. Break healed but bone soft.

I feel your pain, although yours is a worse nightmare.

I suggest you ask around, get the best case scenario. If you need surgery, tell them to do it right this time. Have you previously had a bone graft?

Get opinions from only the best. Where do you live, people might be able to recommend surgeons via private messages. I am on the other side of the world down under, and share a similar name and am slightly older than you. I still can't walk properly.

You have joined a club you didn't ask to join. Welcome anyway. There are a great bunch of people all over the world on here.

Good luck!

@(*+*)@

• Posted

I live in Ireland!! Was in France on holidays when I had accident. I've never had a bone graft and never have previously broken any bones. I was shocked at the surgeon in Ireland how scathing he was of the French surgeon who performed operation. I'm at fracture clinic on 30 Aug for my next app so we will see what happens. r

• Posted

I had a spinal block for my operation. Less stressful than a general. Bone graft wasn't as painful as I expected. Leg was worse. But even that was OK. Also my husband badly broke his hand 3 weeks after me. Living hell! Don't need to die to find heaven or Hell!

Both of us never broken a bone b4 either.

I wonder why they are putting off the inevitable. Tell them to fix the damned thing so you can get on with life. Very frustrating all round. If the silly twit of an ambulance medic/driver had take me to hospital straight away, I would have had surgery. It was second surgeon who said first should have sorted it. Both in same darned hospital!

Good luck. If sire, go back immediately. Get an adult coloring book, watch movies, okay games, listen to music and stay on here. We care!??

• Posted

Doctors differ patients suffer!!! You too have been through a terrible time. I can't imagine what it must be like for you and your husband to have broken bones. It's terrible how debilitating it is. When I had accident my son phoned paramedics and they wouldn't put me in ambulance until I gave them 143 euros. And there was me lying in complete agony. Couldn't breath I was in so much pain and all they were worried about was money. All a nightmare. Think its took more out of me mentally than physically. I was due to visit my son again in France on 6 Sep but don't think ill make that. Yes. My life is on hold at mercy of surgeons

• Posted

I hear you sister lol. I feel your pain.

I was signed up paid up for free ambulances and the twit still wouldn't take me.

I'll send you my email via messages if you ever want to get in contact.

©{•×•}©

????????????????

• Posted

Karen- Do you think you should get a third opinion in case the second doctor is wrong? Just a thought. It would be terrible to go through a second surgery to find out the second guy was wrong. I feel so badly you have had this experience. I would think the surgeons in France would be good! I thank my lucky stars that the surgeon I went to in the Hawaiian islands ended up being a good one. It was just the luck of the draw, as there was only one orthopedic surgeon there. You just never know when you are on vacation what you are going to get, and lots of these accidents happen on vacation! Our thoughts are with you when you go through this! It is already a nightmare. Who needs a nightmare within a nightmare? Ugh! Just be tough...you will get there, you're just taking a side route vs. the main road. You are still young and will heal well. Good to know from Tituscanby that the bone graft doesn't hurt too much in case you have to go that way. I have read a lot of people have had that to help with healing, when things go slowly or sometimes if they are smokers and have trouble with bone healing because of that. Thinking about you.

• Posted

Thank you Patti

Yes. Everyone says that the surgeons in France are good. And perhaps my injury is just taking longer to hear even though I don't smoke and I am trying to eat healthy and drink loads or water. I'm thinking yes a second opinion is necessary. Second surgeon said he would have had me in a cage and walking from day one. Yes don't need this nightmare I need to heal and start living again as at the minute my life is on hold. Waiting on app at minute to have a bone density test. We will see what that reveals

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.