Advice on getting more flexibility in your knee after TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 5weeks post op after TKR . Struggling to get more flexibility in knee .I do exercisestake my pain meds but one doc says been on them a while now. And consultant I saw today said take your pain meds and push through with your exercises and see me in 4 weeks I'm just in tears as I have tried so hard so wore out by it all . Any advice would be good .

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you elevating and icing lots too? How is the swelling? It is wearing, and around six weeks very common to feel down. What is your range of motion at the moment?.
    • Posted

Jenny I am icing4 or 5 times a day .And elevating too swelling is still there not as bad but I heard it takes anything between 6 to 12months to go down . But my consultant said today it has reduced a lot bit hubby thinks not . My bend is only between 60 and 70 he wants it at 90 and requested to see me in four weeks . And that PT concentrate on my leg bends

Physio in morning see what they say .

• Posted

Yes, try not to worry. Elevate extreme elevation...i.e. lie on your back with heel against wall in vertical position sometimes...that is good. Anti inflammatories good if you have been prescribed them. What medications are you on? Are you in uk?

My swelling really improved around ten to twelve weeks, and that helps range of motion.

It is hard,but read around here there is lots of good information.

Heel slides, exercising little and often...

It is hard work, but it will be worth bit in the end!

• Posted

Jenny I'm in UK my meds are paracetamol ibuprofen and codeine phosphate but was going try wean myself off but don't know if to early yet p

• Posted

Maybe try a TENS machine? When you do lower your medications can be useful for the increase in gaps. But everyone is different and the main thing is that you need to work on range of motion.

Having sufficient pain relief is important.

Forcing the knee is not something recommended in the UK. I nudged mine gently along, to the point of slight pain, but no further. I took pain relief an hour before exercise and iced and elevated after. This worked well for me, as I had sufficient feeling in knee to know when to stop, but the feeling (or pain) was not agony, and never made me cry.

But if the pain is too much, you may not nudge things along enough.

Should both listen to knee and respect when it says too much, but also nudge it along.

Even with pain relief it will hurt a bit, and you will know then at what point to not push anymore.

But it is not good to expose oneself to needless pain as it makes one feel depressed.

So if you need the pain relief you need it.

Five weeks is early days.

Royal college of surgeons say pain relief needed up til three months. Obviously varies, but good ball park figure.

• Posted

Take pain meds so you can move. Be sure to get a balance of rest and use ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.

I had some post op complications that caused my leg to swell so I couldn't move my leg for 6 weeks. I am now 12 weeks post op and can not extend my leg so it is bent about 30 degrees. I will have to work with a JAS brace for the next 3-9 months to straighten my leg. I am doing Epsom salt soaks, ROM exercises now the swelling is down.

it gets better as time goes on. Pain is different for each person, be gentle with yourself.

best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you Laurel for kind words . I hope yours gets better with time. They say time is a great healer .
  • Posted

Hi Lesley Ann .... 5 weeks post TKR is soooooo early to be disheartened!! I can't believe that doc said you've been on them a while now. You will need them a bit longer I'm afraid. I was on Percocets for almost 3 months after my TKR. Do your to your tolerance. And, take your pain meds 30-40 min BEFORE you do your exercises. Afterwards ICE, ice and more ICE!! It will help the pain and swelling. Above all, keep a positive attitude. You are so early in your recovery. At 5 weeks I could barely lift my leg off of the bed. Now, I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week!! It can take up to a year to feel "normal"!!! So...hang in there!!!

• Posted

Hi yes some doctors eh had very good physio session this morning and head physio told me not to worry you don't have to have an op for manipulation if you did not have much bend in your knee before op it's no saying you will get a full bend back it takes time and equal amounts of rest icing and exercises and how you feel .I asked about swimming and he said yes in the small pool water is good start with walking. I think I will look for hydrotherapy pools round here to try out thanks for your advice. X

• Posted

Even just a local swimming pool is fine.. just cast off all inhibitions, welcome mystified looks, and strut your stuff! Show off that scar, you are a heroine! (NO, I did not say heroin! )
    • Posted

As long as incision is completely closed up!
  • Posted

Arrrrrgh-the frustrations of a tkr.

Five weeks is still so early in your

recovery lesley ann-take a big breath,

grab a cup of coffee and some time

out- a day off now and then is good

for the soul. Yes, pushing through is

important but with a lot of swelling its hard

to improve your rom. Ice and elavation

are a big aid in reducing the swelling. As for

pain relief-you are the one in charge,

everyones journey is different, but

if the physio is causing you so much distress

you need to stay on top of things as regaining

your rom is the aim-you dont want

to be left with a limp. At times it can

all become overwhelming-its a long

journey- stick with it. Heel slides, leg lifts and

stretches- as many times as you can

manage. Try sitting and letting the legs

dangle and swing (I had an elevated

chair for this one but a dining table

works just as well) I found this exercise

much easier than the rest!! Stay positive,

and be kind to yourself. Allow some

time out now and then. If there was ever

an excuse for chocolate cake-this is it!! (within

reason of course lol). One day at a

time lesley ann. Take care.

• Posted

No more than one chocolate cake a day...or can cause complications!😁😂😃

My treat was a scone with jam and cream, and tea. Trouble is, the habit continues!

• Posted

Lol sue chocolate cake I'm a chef and really missing my cooking . Managed to make a quick avocado salad dressing this morning after coming back from physio but that's it . Also I used to have a good appetite but not since op only small portions now but still not lose much weight .

And watching good comedy shows etc it's good to laugh.

• Posted

Laughter-not easy in those first weeks but essential tokeep the blues at bay-followed by a chaser of chocolate cake of course 😉😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.