Advice on Mirtazapine - Should I stick on it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have been depressed for the past 5 1/2 months now. My psych prescribed minitran ( a drug sold in greece that contains Amitriptyline hydrochloride and Perphenazine) at first and then a month later added fluvoxamine maleate. As both of these drugs didn't really work much, my doc recently put me on Mirtazapine. I have been on it for 8 days now, 30mg every night. I also still take 200mg fluvoxamine maleate for obsessive thoughts. I know it is still early days but i guess I am looking for some reassurance. Mirt has helped me with sleep but my mood hasnt lifted a bit and in the past 3 days it has been quite bad. I feel very low, no motivation, like life has no meaning if I am like that, my thoughts are all over the place,etc. Is that normal? Did anyone have similar reactions? Maybe this drug doesn't work for me and need to try out something else? What do you think? Thank you very much   

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi you need to give it a lot longer than 8 days to see if it's right for you. My doctor says between 4 and 6 weeks until you know. I was on 30mg for 6 weeks and felt horrendous. Felt like I was wired could hardly sleep at night. No appetite very moody. In the 6 weeks I had about 10 days where I felt really well. I went back down to 15mg and wasn't as bad as the 30mg. I think this drug is very up and down. I'm trying to get off it altogether now and currently going through hell just hope I get there. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Why are you trying to get off it? It isn't working for you? I will def give it a try and hopefully in the coming weeks I will see some improvement. I know that antidepressants are not 'happy' pills and that you need to try a lot to get back on track (lifestyle changes and any other changes that you think are good for you) but sometimes you feel really low and helpless and you need some reassurance from others that have gone through similar experiences. Hope you will feel better soon

• Posted

I suffer with anxiety also and trying to come off is making it very hard. My body shaking and feels like my nervous system is jumping about. I was on amitryptyline for sleep for about 12 years and my doctor substituted them for mirtazapine. I feel my issues are more on the anxiety side.
  • Posted

I am the same! I've been on 30mg mirtazapine after being off them cold turkey for a week off 7.5mg (they pooped out!) I'm giving them another week then gonna taper...stick with them a while longer....I have horrendous anxiety do you?

• Posted

I have anxiety as well but I feel very low too... I dont know why. When I started the first 3-4 days were ok, but the following 3 have been horrendous.My thoughts are all over the place, I feel bad about myself, like ashamed of sorts,no motivation, no appetite. The only good thing is the sleep. I sleep well for 10 hours or so. You know at the moment I dont have a job and I spend most of my time alone in the house. I think this makes things much worse but I dont have the motivation to go out and see friends. It's a vicious circle that at the moment I cannot see the end of it.... At least its good to be on this forum and realise that we are a lot of us on the same (or similar) boat. Good luck

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear what you are feeling manso, depression is so horrible I'd rather have my right arm chopped off then suffer with bad mental health....I know it's hard when you are depressed, but when I'm depressed I make myself do things, I'm alone all day and all I do at the moment is walk in our local woods and listen to music I enjoy, I know this is so so hard when you are depressed, but you got to make yourself do stuff it will get better i promise! Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.