Advice on preparing for a TKR?

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello there, I am having a TKR in 4 weeks time, and wondered if anyone has advice on how to prepare for it - I have read lots about the operation itself, pain and physio afterwards etc.  Getting quite apprehensive and wonder whether I should be trying to strengthen my muscles beforehand. Thank you!

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi i had my TKR just over 3 weeks ago, to prepare for the op, I went to the hospital gym for over 4 months twice a week for an hour each time to help build up the muscle, weather it's helped or not I don't know but I enjoyed it and generally felt fitter for doing so, good luck with your op
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, thank you, looks like I already missed the boat then! Only booked the op last week, but I think I will try and do some of the exercises that I will have to do after the op, reading this forum. How are you feeling after 3 weeks? Thanks again
    • Posted

Hi susie slow but sure after 3 weeks, I'd never seen anything like the bruises I had starting at my thigh and finishing at my ankle my whole leg was a lovely shade of purple, but lasted about a week and it's looking a good colour now, like everyone is saying elevate and ice with your pain killers really does help, the exercises are getting easier, at first I couldn't lift my leg for 10 days it felt like a ton weight, I'm normally a very active person so finding tough taking it easy, but I'm positive that I will be living a life without the constant pain eventually, as I'm sure you will too, good luck with your op keep in touch and let us know how your doing and get that ice in ready 😀
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie, ice on order - bags of it!  3 weeks is so soon, sounds like you are so positive. Will definitely keep on the forum, thank you so much
  • Posted

Had mine done in Jan be positive it's gonna be tough but ice physio and positive thinking will get you through. I'm back at work now and never lookEd acknowledge best thing ever. You will get your good and bad days sleepless nights keep up with your pain relief as it's part of the healing process. Good luck and stay on the forum
    • Posted

Hello Kim, thank you, it's so helpful to hear something positive.  It is too easy to concentrat on the bad experiences people are enduring - I hadn't even thought about depression but it makes so much sense. I will definitely keep on here. 
  • Posted

I am 9 days post op and went to the gym for all the time I was on the waiting list and thought I had done a pretty good job, how wrong I was, lol. seriously though anything you can do, wether it's just increasing a daily walk will help.
    • Posted

Gosh how are you doing after 9 days? I only have 5 weeks from the decision to the op, but I will do my best.  Not capable of doing a daily walk, sadly, but hoping to walk like a crazy person in the future if this goes well!
  • Posted

Hi

I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow....sleepless nights are my main problem now....feeling pretty good concerning the pain throughout the day...ICE,PT and ELEVATION are the 3 things that have helped me manage....it can be very discouraging and depressing at times...just last week I could barely walk around the store for a 1/2 hr. I try and walk short distance evry hour....I really didn't do anything prior to surgery...tried to eat and sleep....can't wait for this to be behind me....good luck

• Posted

I am not doing too bad now, just making sure I keep up with my pain killers.
  • Posted

HI Suki. I'm just over 5 weeks post TKR and had about 4 weeks notice of my surgery . I walked as much as I could even half an hour a day. I also got some exercises from the physio nurse at the hospital to do at home 3 times a day these were quad building and muscle building exercises of the leg. These exercises play a huge part in the recovery process and would thoroughly recommend you find out about them and do them religiously, they will be so worth it. The best up of luck hope all goes well for rou and yes stay positive 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.