Advice on what I can do

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have worn spectacles for 42 years , I am 62 years  old .

The last twice I have had my eyes tested have resulted in me thinking that the prescription was wrong . I’ve been back to my optician on these two occasions but advised my lenses were as prescribed . I find my spectacles a strain to wear and to be honest , I can’t wait to get to bed so I can get some relief from wearing

them . I’m kind of stuck as the next thing I can do to make wearing spectacles more tolerable .my lenses are varifocals and I need them for driving and close up .....I’m a full time wearer of spectacles . Can anyone give me some advice on this ? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Aberdeen26, I had a similar problem last year.  I thought my prescription was wrong, I too wear varifocals & eventually discovered that it wasn't the prescription that was wrong but the dispensing.

I happened to see an article in Which magazine & they gave a link to OCCS, a complaints service, I'll put the link after this post.  They were very helpful & eventually, the Dispensing Optician in the branch I went to, measured & fitted my specs for me.  I haven't had any problems since.

If you bear in mind that the Dispensing Optician is the Branch Manager & has trained over several years, in order to achieve his position & then compare that with the Optical assistants or whatever the other staff are called, do very basic training, you can see why some people have problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.