advice on young adults (22) having bunion and bunionette surgery:(

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im 22 and due to have my right foot operated on, on the big toe and the little toe. Im a support worker so always on the go and i enjoy going to the gym so im gonna be pretty bored stuck in my upstairs flatsad. Im not quite sure what procedure im having as i didnt really understand all the mediacal jargon used when i was told. My left foot is begining to get more worse too but few months ago didn't seem to bother me, so might have to go through this all again.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Philippa, I too have to have both done one at a time!..and I'm 75 yrs old!

I am worried that you say you will be 'stuck in your UPSTAIRS flat'!! You will need a lot of assistance if you live upstairs, how are you going to go down for food etc do you have any help at home? If not, ask your doctor to arrange home help, we have that here in Australia but I'm not sure what you have in the UK.

One thing is for sure, we just have to ride it out and have lots of things to do whilst we recouperate. Get yourself some books to read, puzzles, sewing, drawing, or sketch pads, something to fill in the hours. Of course there is always the "box" to watch isn't there! I wish you all the best with your operation.

• Posted

I'm in a upstairs flat but everything is on the same floor, I live with my partner so that's a great help but upsets me as I normally drive her to and from work so gonna have a huge impact on everything. Only have a shower as well , no bath so that's going to be a challenge its self. Do you know how long you wait after your pre operation assessment before your operation? My assessment came through yesterday for May 29th.
    • Posted

No Phillipa I don't know how long after pre-op to the actual Operation, it all depends on the waiting list with doctors and hospital I guess.

I too will be freaking out as I'm a lot older and get nervous about these things.

• Posted

I'm 32 and had little and big toe bunions operated on on both feet 11 months ago. I was only having one foot done but started to experience pain in the other foots bunions so decided id get them both done. One operation and one recovery period. Best decision ever!
    • Posted

I think I'm having the little bunion shaved and the big bunion pinned really didn't understand what he was saying. Did you have a big bandage? As some have bandages and some have pots. Hopefully my left foot doesn't get as bad.
  • Posted

The lovely bunionssad on a 'good' day with no redness
    • Posted

Phillipa, if these are your feet before an operation I am amazed! my bunions are looking East and huge!!!
    • Posted

Yours are very similar to mine, all the horror stories you hear about all the pain and things I think are when they are really bad, when they are really bad they have to cut tendons and things, that is why I want mine done now before it gets worse and the operation will be worse. I think now is a good time to have it before they get worse! 
  • Posted

Hi Phillipa, saw your foot photo, they dont look so bad!.

Im 60 now, had bunions done 7 years ago (right), and 3 months ago (left). I am fit and active with Gym normally three times a week plus lots of hiking and cycling. It was becasue of the pain when walking that I had mine done. The first time was a success but I was out of action for two months, this time I could drive OK after 6 weeks but even now I take pain killers for the latest foot when I go walking more than a couple of miles and Gym is limited - lunges etc cause pain and swelling. You are younger so should recover quickly but recovery takes a variable amount of time, not just age dependent issues. I continued doing upper body exercises at home, the Gym is not essential. Its also a great time to do the online course or catch up with reading or planning your holidays. I 'dicovered' free online learning courses - MOOCs (search on google)- also futurelearn and coursera.

Kevin

• Posted

hi philippa, im 24 and 5days post op. i had no idea of what they was going to do, all i knew was bunion removal & tendon release on right foot/calf. i was in terrors about it all. I had mine done at wythenshawe hospital, everyone was great, they could see in my face i was scared, but they all helped me through it. The only thing im hating is this bloody cast & the sexy ted stocking ha so annoying spesh when there is an itch. the pain im getting is nothing - none whats so ever, odd burning and tingling but thats nothing. so im off the painkillers, ad just taking the anti-inflam tabs & the daily injection so i dont get any clots. Just a quick question to everyone else thats had the op, how long did you have to wear the ted stocking for?? Good luck with your op, everything will be fine!
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 22 and going I be having surgery in July, I'm looking forward to it so I can finally be pain free! I'm a PE teacher and it's challenging being up on my feet all day with it! My first pre op assessment was at the beginning of the year, we discussed when I wanted it, I said the summer because that was the best time for me, then I went back last week for a 10 week checkup and to sign all the forms, I now waiting on a date. They seem to rush it through, I was told that I could be waiting ages to get an appointment, if I even fit the criteria because mine wasn't that bad, so I was prepared to not even get one, but within 2 weeks I had an appointment with a surgeon! I'm through NHS but it is being done in a private hospital, I think it really just depends on your hospital waiting list. My colleague had hers done in the Easter holidays, so 5 weeks ago, and she is walking without crutches and driving now, she still wears a boot though. I think it depends on the person, however, being young like me I would imagine the healing time will be quicker than if we were older! 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 38 and had both feet done 3 weeks ago. First two weeks I kept my feet elevated and got around on my bottom mainly. I did all my normal upper body workouts and at week 3 (Thursday) I contacted my surgeon to ask if I could remove the large dressings and apply fine dressing and wear normal supportive shoes which he agreed. I went to Clarks on Saturday morning got some supportive sandals, bathed my feet and applied some bio oil and a light dressing. I am now moving around freely and going back to work tomorrow. I can't complain it seems to have gone well and I am trying to be as active as possible although not fully weight bearing. Can't wait to get back to spin classes which I will try later in the week. Best of luck smile

• Posted

That's amazing. You sound like Wonder Woman!  Congratulations, but don't the bones need longer than three weeks to heal properly. You wouldn't want to set yourself back, of course.

I am keeping my feet elevated but would you mind if I asked you if there is anything else I should do? My feet are bandaged and in those wedge shoes (my son said I look like Mrs Hermann Munster).  Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

• Posted

My God Linzi, you are amazing! both feet and 3weeks out? you are wearing shoes!! I can't blieve it!....Good on you, but take it slowly, you don't want to over do things!>..How do you get around on your bottom? did you use a mat or what? If I can have both feet done I'll use my office chair on wheels to get around!
    • Posted

Haha that made me giggle.....Wonder Woman or mad woman!!! I live in Scotland and had my operation through NHS and once I had my stitches removed I wasn't sure what benefit the dressing was having as it was just a crepe bandage which was quite loose with no sterile dressing underneath (only cotton wool stuff).  The shoes I was given had no support in them whatsoever and when I was up on my feet I was going over on the side of my ankles.  When I first saw my feet after the two week stage I was a bit shocked and worried...had a wee down day then picked myself up and decided to contact consultant hence the shoes! I am fortunate that so far all is good and shoes have really helped and I have enjoyed my last two days back at work.  Obviously still taking it easy in evenings once kids and dinner are sorted smile.. Do you mind me asking what stage you are at??
    • Posted

Hi, I would definitely recommend having both feet done at same time as the recovery is the same whether it be one or two and I knew I would never go back !! Nothing fancy for getting around other than my fleece pj's....easier to slide around on wooden floors but on carpets and generally I relied on my upper body strength.  That's the only thing when having both feet done in terms of using bathroom etc I didn't have to rely on help as I pulled myself up but if I couldn't I would have needed so much more help in first few weeks.  I used my office chair in the kitchen to prepare dinner and still use it now when ironing.  My only regret is not arranging to have a wheelchair or a shower seat ready when I returned from hospital.  Everything feels and looks okay was worried about scars but they look amazing now that scabs are starting to come off.  I have my X-ray and final appt on 23/5 so fingers crossed both feet are healing well.  Loving having straight pain free feet already !!! smile

• Posted

Hi Linzi, I hope at my age 75 I can have both feet done too, my podatrist said no, as it's too much pain and awkard to get around, but as I live on my own I can stay in hospital for weeks if I need to, then get Blue Nurses to come to my home after I come out, so I think if the doctor thinks it's ok I'll do that as I don't want to be off my duties a second time. I wouldn't be able to get around on my bottom or get up it takes me all my strength to get up off my knees now!....Sounds like you had a great recovery and little pain. I too am looking forward to the day I have straight feet!....I have my office chair, crutches and a bathroom stool, I broke my foot some years ago and had to get everything for that and I got a hand rail in the shower.
    • Posted

Hi Linzi, thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay but we have a poor signal and it's hit and miss with the internet here.  Please feel free to ask me what you like, I had  both feet done through the NHS on Tuesday, so now 48 hours post op. I know what you mean about the bandages. Why were you shocked and worried when you first saw your feet? I am a bit worried that my big toes, sticking through the top of the crepe, don't seem to be straight but seem to still point left and right.  My husband said the left one doesn't look straight! All will be revealed when the bandages come off. I hope they are straight after all this! I must say I hope you aren't doing too much. Can't imagine how I would cope if I had a young family still at home. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.