Advice or experience needed please!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been on Prozac for general anxiety and depression for almost 2 years. About a month ago the anxiety was majorly playing up and my gp upped my dose to 40mg a day. 

Over the past few weeks iv noticed myself becoming emotionally numb and had a lot of confidence and just felt over elated like 'everything will be fine and work out' type mood all the time.

I ended up splitting up with my husband as I believed I stopped loving him and didn't think it was anything to do with the Prozac. I then slept with someone the weekend after sad 

This is extremely out of character for me and looking back on it all I actually can't believe it was me it seems like it was all a dream but I'm actually living with all the consequences of my actions! 

Iv tried to explain to my husband that I feel the pills have made me act this way but he doesn't accept that as an excuse he thinks I'm lying! I just don't know what to do! Iv stopped taking the Prozac as I'm too scared about what I might do next whilst on the drug 

My life is in ruins! I went to the gp last Friday and told him that I could see my life crumbling before my eyes but couldn't make myself care or feel anything! I feel like iv spiralled out of control and don't even recognise myself anymore!

My friends and family are now telling me they've seen the difference in me in a big way (to little too late) iv now messed my whole life up while being on such a confident 'don't give a crap' mood and can't get it back! Has anyone else felt this way on Prozac?? I'm starting to believe I might be bipolar or something as iv lost control of everything!! 

Thanks for reading Emma x (23) x 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Firstly let me reassure you that things always seems the worst when they happen. That is not to say that they are not unpleasant at the moment but they wont stay like that forever and you will find a solution.

Do not stop taking the drugs completely. You need to wean yourself off them - I hope your doctor advised this x 

Have you ever had counselling? This may work better for you than Prozac and give you something else to work with if you do not want to carry on with the drugs.

It may help you understand/cope with your moods better and help you feel more supported.

Has your doctor reffered you to see someone else regarding Bi-polar?

An overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism) can mimic the symptoms of bipolar disorder. It can therefore be helpful to ask your GP to check this with a thyroid test (this is a simple blood test). 

If you do (and you may not have it at all) You can then start alternative treatment and share resources about it with your husband who may then see how it can make people feel and therefore behave.

Hope this helps x 

• Posted

sorry to hear you suffering like this. In my experience anti depressants alter mood but not behaviour. I would not feel your life is in ruins. I am sure there are many out there who still love you.  One mistake does not mean the end of your life.  Thats what life is an experiment to find the answer.  Chin up

Richard

• Posted

Hi

in response to you , yes this happened to me on paxil. I am normally very shy but after I got on paxil I would say whatever was on my mind and much of it was awful. I thought I was being fun and funny but finally my family got with me and said they thought the medicine had made me act a little drunk.....not falling down drunk but you know that type of courage a couple drinks does to people. Yeah I'm glad I got off them because other people who didn't know me were being offended ...I didn't even realize it and I thought I was a sensitive person.

so, you made a mistake it happens when we are on medication or when we are off medication. I'm sure the medication sure helped put you in a bit of a mess but there must have been stuff happening in the marriage as well.

if he doesn't believe you...would you really want to stay with someone like that? Someone who should know you the best and someone who knew for sure you were taking medication? This stuff is mind altering...that's why people take it to alter their mind. Thinking the mind they have is not a good one. The problem is with this medication is it can do as many things negative or positive as there are people taking it.

so, if 7 million people take it...7 million different things can happen. It's not like brain replacement, it's " let's see what these drugs do to you".... Not one doctor knows what. Ask the people on these boards. The prescribing doctor no matter how smart and competent ....does not know. Neither do the people who made it or sell it.

they have some ideas about what it might do. I feel it's totally experimental ....

But people because of our nature we ge sucked into thinking, there is a cure or there is a crutch. I know that some people swear by these meds and it makes me glad because I'd hate to think everyone got suckered in and got a bad result.

im sure without the drugs you would never have done what you did. You might have wanted to do it but you would weigh the consequences ....

its okay though, we can't argue with what has already happened.

i hope he believes you, that is if, you want to be back with him.

all the best

• Posted

Ps....if you went cold turkey off the drugs you will feel bi polor and anxious and all kinds of negative stuff but that will resolve itself within a month or two so hang in there
  • Posted

Prozac made me feel the same way ....no feelings .not a care in the world .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.